Reception

Together, hand in hand, we step into the hall. The celebration is already in full swing, with people snacking on little pastel desserts and music floating around. Right now, orchestral pieces are being played, but gradually, more modern pieces will make their way in. And, some pieces that are very much not approved by my mother.

The sheer blue curtains she had me put up again and again hang gracefully in the corners of the room. I hate to admit it, but maybe they were worth the work.

The hall looks beautiful at first glance with candles and string lights, until you look a little closer. Various exotic animals are in a temporary pen in the back of the hall. Standing awkwardly next to them are the fire dancers Gus hired waiting to perform.

We are ushered over to the middle table in the front of the room, with everyone else's table surrounding ours. The table to our immediate left is reserved for the parents of the bride and groom which is currently only occupied by my parents. As Gus mentioned, his father is unable to attend due to his condition. The table on the right is for my special little guests. Any and all children I could find from our families that I could invite. As we pass, I peek over and check that they did in fact get the special party favors I ordered.

Everyone stands from their seats as we are announced. "Presenting, His Royal Highness Prince Augustus Ralph Unton the Third of Ashia, and his new wife, Princess Elenora of Edria." The chairs squeak against the floor as everyone sits down again. The announcer gestures to my father.

He gets up and takes the spotlight, clasping te microphone. "Today is about new beginnings and coming together to strengthen the future. I wish my daughter all the happiness and love that will surely build into the most beautiful of partnerships." He smiles down at me and raises his glass of champagne. "To Elenora and Augustus."

"To Princess Elenora and Prince Augustus!" The crowd cheers. Oddly, I'm touched by my father's speech. I knew he cared, but to hear it, and after feeling like such a disappointment after rejecting countless suitors. I'm also glad he put away his doubts about Gus and my relationship.

I'm disrupted from my thoughts with a shrill clicking sound that echoes through the hall, that makes me break into a grin.

The kids found the hand clappers. One of the most annoying toys you could give a child. And there's an army of thirty of them. Some parents try discreetly discourage them, but being children, it only encourages them to clap louder. Other children find the bubbles hidden in the party favor bag and start blowing bubbles. One kid drops his bottle and soap suds run across the floor. There's a flash of horror on Gus's face before he wipes it away.

My father forces a smile, "Let's eat!" The daggers his and mother's eyes sent my way. I have never been in this much trouble. I feel a wave of guilt wash over me and sink a little in my chair. My father didn't deserve that after his kind words.

The servers bring out the food. An unfortunate server slips in the soap puddle and his tray crashes to the ground. The crowd gasps.

Gus and I rush over.

I get there first, and tug on the server's arm to help him sit up.

"Are you alright?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you Princess." He responds. Gus helps him to stand and brushes him off.

"Feel free to go home, I'll compensate you for your time anyway." Gus tells the man.

"Thank you your highness." He gasps.

"And if I could have someone clean this up," Gus gestures to a nearby waiter who rushes over.

After a quick mop, everyone receives their food. The guests mumble at our choice of food when the dishes are revealed. However, no one can deny it was the best pizza and ribs of their lives.