Second Date

A few days later and it's time for date number two. Joy. Excuse me, the Royal PR, Lucy, insisted we call them public outings. Something about not wanting to make things too official just yet. I don't think she's aware of Gus and my's timeline. Oh well, she'll figure it out eventually.

I knock on Gus's door. He appears sporting a tailored tux. Appropriate for our outing: a high end rooftop restaurant. I, too, am dressed for the occasion, wearing a flashy dress. We stiffly greet each other and exchange the expected formalities. How are you? Well, thank you. And the like.

"For some reason this was left at my door. It has your name on it." Gus says, interrupting the routine pattern of exchange. He holds out a small package addressed to me. My most recent online order.

"Oh. Thanks." I open my door again and chuck it inside.

"What's in it?" he asks.

I cringe as I remember what I ordered. "It doesn't matter. Let's just go."

"I see you're wearing practical shoes this time."

I glance down at my sparkly flats and sigh. "August."

"Sorry." He apologizes, holding the door open for me.

A quick drive later, and we arrive. A friendly server seats us towards the edge of the balcony, giving us a beautiful view of the twinkling lights of the city. A quick glance at the table adjacent and I almost roll my eyes. The approved press is here to observe how the night goes and photograph this momentous occasion in history. They will go home and tell little Timmy I saw the future queen take her first steps in her relationship with Prince Augustus. Later I'll go home and be able to rewatch my night on the television.

The waitress comes back to ask for our drink order, her name tag displaying the name Rachel. I assume she will also be telling little Timmy at home about this night.

I ask for a lemonade. I raise my eyebrows in surprise when Gus orders alcohol.

"Nervous?" I tease.

"No." He replies.

I just shrug and smooth out my skirt.

The waitress brings us our orders and we lapse into silence.

Gus sips his drink as I tap my fingers on the table.

I decide now would be the perfect time to test Gus again for potential partner points. I mean, I might as well seeing as he's not even trying to make conversation.

I stretch in my seat. "Ooh, the cramps are pretty bad today," I say, rubbing my abdomen.

"Oh," he replies shifting, and after a beat apologizes and tells me he's sorry to hear that.

Yeah, he doesn't pass.

Once again, the conversation lulls.

The silence stretches on. I tap my fingers on the table as I glance around the room. Everyone else in the restaurant is engaged in their own conversations. I watch as a reporter points a camera at us. I fake a yawn as he presses the shutter button. I hide my laugh with a fake cough.

Gus is just batting his silverware around, avoiding my eye contact.

Finally, I can't stand the silence anymore. "You know what? Let's play 20 questions."

"Alright, you can start." Gus takes a sip of his drink.

"Let's start simple. What's your favorite color?"

"Green."

Ugh, this guy. "Light green, dark green," I prompt.

"Dark green. It reminds me of the greenery of the beautiful mountains in my kingdom."