Movie

Right after lunch, I was summoned to my father's office. As I walk the last hallway, I pass Gus.

He nods to me. "I don't think he's convinced, so good luck." He says, shrugging as he walks off.

Great.

I enter Father's study. The door creaks closed behind me.

Father gestures to the chair in front of his desk, without looking up. "Sit."

The leather squeaks as I plop down.

He finishes signing the papers, and neatly tucks them to the side, clasping his hands as he clears his throat. "A certain young man has asked for your hand." He states.

"Really?" I struggle to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. This is total news to me.

"What should I tell him?" he asks.

I shrug. "Yes?"

Haven't you already come to your own conclusions about us? I think. Either you believe our little show or you don't.

His eyes narrow and he looks me over.

"What do you like about him?" He finally asks.

Crap.

"I never realized how handsome he was!" I say in a flirty voice.

"Really?" He asks incredulously. I don't think he's buying it.

"And he has a nice personality, when he shows it." I mutter under my breath.

"Uh, huh." He nods slowly. "Go on."

Definitely not buying it.

"He likes reading!" I say, grasping at straws.

"What exactly?"

"Uh, I don't know." I admit, "But, that will certainly be a topic the next time we talk. And..." I trail off.

Uhh, think! I need to somehow convince him, because what I said so far, he isn't buying. What is it that Gia said about him?

"He has a nice butt!" I blurt out and cringe.

"What?"

"What? Uh, what I meant to say was, but, as in there's a catch. He has a terrible habit of chewing on his nails and you know that would be bad for public image." I laugh nervously. Why did I say that? That isn't me.

"Right. Well, I'll tell him yes, but if you ever change your mind, he'll be kicked out in a heartbeat."

I sigh. "Thanks dad!" I give him a hug. "Love you!"

He kisses my hair, "love you too."

I find Gus waiting outside, tapping around on his phone with a concerned look. I clear my throat to get his attention. Smiling, I give him a thumbs up. He returns the gesture.

Game on.

As I go to walk past, Gus grabs my arm, pulling me back.

"What are you doing later?"

"Uh, Gia and I had planned to go see a movie later today. She's been dying to see this one movie, and won't stop chatting my ear off." I answer.

"Oh."

He seems disappointed for some reason.

"But I doubt she'd mind a tag a long." I offer. "I'll ask her and text you later."

Father calls out for Gus.

He smiles. "Thanks."

Father calls out again, beckoning him inside.