Fight For Me

My bicep aches from my mother's nails dug into it, her grip almost drawing blood as she drags me through the country club and to the parking lot

The valet already brought her car forward, dangling her key in the air when he spots her. Mom grabs the key without so much of a thank you. Her heels pound the pavement. I struggle to keep up. 

"Get in the car!" She orders, hoisting me into the backseat before slamming the door. 

"Rafe, sweetheart, you look hurt," she addresses the cut on his eyebrow and busted lip. Rafe is injured but less scathed than JJ. 

"I can't believe they dared to put their hands on you," I roll my eyes. How did my mother believe Rafe so quickly? "Don't worry, they will pay for this" what is she planning on doing? "Are you feeling okay?" She wonders. 

"I'll be okay, Mrs Shoupe, don't worry about me" Rafe plays the victim. 

"Well, why don't you come with us? We can clean you up, can't we Elizabeth?" I look over, completely silent which annoys her further. "Get in the car, Rafe, we'll clean you up and take you home" she speaks for me. 

"Thanks, Mrs Shoupe, I really appreciate it" I glare at Rafe when he sits next to me, we were having fun watching the movie but then he had to go and ruin it. 

I was feeling secure in his arms, but now I don't even want to be in the same vehicle. 

"You okay, babe?" He rests his hand on my thigh as mom starts to drive away, I don't respond or react to his hand. "Baby, you're not hurt are you?" He checks my face for any injuries while I cross my arms, wanting this car ride to be over. 

I just want to make sure JJ and Pope are fine. 

"Answer him, Elizabeth, you're being rude" Mother orders. 

"I'm fine" I mutter, "I'm sorry you had to see that, but they came at me" he tries to convince me. I look at him in disbelief, lying to my mother is one thing but lying to me is another thing, he can't really think I am going to believe him. 

Not wanting to start an argument, I turn to face out the window, shifting my body away from him, his hand falling off my thigh. My back is turned to him and he uses this opportunity to move closer to me, rubbing down my arms. 

"I'm sorry, babe" he apologises, "but you know how the Pogue's are, they act like animals" I bite my tongue, knowing I can't say anything. 

"Elizabeth! Stop acting like a child!" Mother watches us through the rear-view mirror. 

"I am not the one acting like a child" I burst, "Elizabeth-" mom warns, "no, I know you started the fight Rafe" I continue, "even after I explicitly told you to stay away from them after what happened with Pope" he looks down, avoiding my eye contact. 

"We were having a good time, Rafe, why did you have to go and ruin it?" I confront him, facing him now, mother watching cautiously. "You accuse me of being involved with the Pogues yet you are the one who keeps bringing them into our lives" I point out.