Chapter 11

Katherine's POV

I needed a change of clothes, so sadly we had to drive in my crappy car. I did, however, make googly eyes at Malakai's car in the distance. It truly is a beauty.

I blasted a few Nickelback songs, my favourite being 'something in your mouth' and when I say blasted, I mean thoroughly blasted. Xadian said that I popped his eardrum, and I told him that Nickelback is eardrum popping worthy.

We've been at my house for about fifteen minutes and as ninety percent of the time, the house is empty. There was a note on the fridge from mum saying that we need some groceries, I put a reminder on my phone to pick some up later.

I decided to slick all my baby hairs back with hairspray as I tied the rest of my hair into a bushy bun. 

I freshened my dull appearance with some concealer and contour, and left the toughest decision for last. Outfit picking.

I open my closet and search through the many piles of clothes. A bittersweet smile surfaces on my face as I see my old style of clothes, all kinds of skirts, dresses and oversized shirts. Shocking, I know, but I used to dress classy, or at I least tried to before... Well before everything happened. They wouldn't fit now anyway, I've completely grown into my adult body and I now stand tall at five-foot-six. I should've become a basket ball player, I know.

I continue flicking through my clothes until I find a cute pair of mom jeans and I decide on pairing them with an oversized red sweater, it has the word Chicago written in big white letters. Weird since I live in North Dakota.

I quickly search through some shoes and I find an old pair of cream Chuck Taylor Converse. I pull them onto my feet and give myself one last glance in the mirror before I head downstairs.

"You're such a pwetty baby, oh yes you are," I stare at Xadian as he talks in a baby voice to my Tilly. He's touching his nose to the cat's whilst he's rubbing her tummy.

"Kat, I might have to steal your cat," he's now smothering her head in kisses.

I scoop her up and wave a finger at Xadian as he tries latching onto her.

Xadian pushes out his lips and frowns like a toddler, I giggle at his childness and hand him back Tilly, warning him to be careful with her.

Malakai's standing on the back porch, clearly having a serious conversation as he pulls on his hair and grips onto his phone like his life depends on it. I leave Zay to play with Tilly as I open the back door. Just as I turn around to slide the door shut, a loud crash emits from behind me and a load of tiny fragments bounce next to my feet. I turn around to see Malakai dragging both hands down his face as his phone is now shattered across the porch.

I step to the side where there isn't any glass and pucker my lips as I look at the floor.

"Conversation didn't go well?" I question with a tight lipped smile.

He turns around and crouches down so he can rest his elbows on his knees. He huffs a few times, in a crappy attempt to calm himself down but it obviously doesn't work as he grabs one of our rattan garden chairs and snaps it. I really liked that chair.

"You just broke my favourite garden chair," I state with my arms crossed.

He looks up at me with his downturned eyes and clenches his jaw, a thick vein surfacing and the scar under his chin turns slightly whiter. Dear God. That is getting added to my 'things I wanna see more often' list. Definitely already had this list in mind, definitely didn't just create it upon seeing that.