Chapter 20

Katherine's POV

I fell back asleep. 

Despite my internal struggle to keep my eyes open for the rest of the flight, my eyes betrayed me and an hour later, I was consumed by slumber. Luckily for me, my past horror didn't invade my dreams, so all in all, I had a peaceful and Maverick Silvius free sleep.

I mean, it's my eighteenth birthday, a birthday that I don't deserve truly but I'm going to push away any past trauma and place a smile on my face, not so much for myself but for Blaise. He's taken me on holiday for Christ's sake, I should feel happy, I need to feel happy, but unfortunately faking it will have to do.

Unlike the usual warm embrace that you usually get from walking through the terminal at your new holiday destination, I get hit with the chilling breeze from the cold France air as winter is setting in. But I like it, I'm home.

"You got your passport?"

I flick my head straight at his question and like I said, I place the most genuine fakest smile on my face as I hold up my passport. He simply returns the gesture and reaches for my free hand with his and leads us down the long terminal until we stop due to the build up of people.

I tune out the distinctive chatter of other people, as well as my recent nightmare, but my mind sadly settles on a different matter, an alive one, that is.

The events of yesterday were mostly happy. After finishing my shift at work, I was greeted with the loving smiles of my sister and my mother as we celebrated my birthday eve by simply eating sushi, my favourite food, opening the few presents from my family and finishing it all off by watching the vampire diaries. Like I said, it was mostly a lovely evening, yet the confusing encounter of a certain someone clouds my mind.

The stupidly handsome, perfectly sculpted face of Malakai Night.

I am beyond baffled over our last encounter. Extremely concerned is an even better term. Concerned for his well-being that is.

The way that he sounded my name out were as if he were disgusted, as if it pained him to speak it. It made me feel uneasy, unsafe, which is a first whilst being his presence.

Little girl. He called me a little girl. He spoke in a way to belittle me. It was a warning. For what, I don't know. He scared me a little in that moment, yet another part of me, a small and miniscule part was intrigued? The look in his eyes sent me warning signals to not over step and I listened, I didn't even question any God damn thing about it. But his next move, when he brought his thumb, coated with my saliva, into his mouth, all emotions of concern and panic fled and were replaced with... arousal? There's something seriously wrong with me.

I don't know what his problem is but I don't want to find out either. It's safe to say that he'll no longer want to see me based on his latest actions. I mean, I don't want to see him if he'll continue to act like a complete lunatic for no reason what so ever, so the feeling is mutual.

It's just a shame that he's so fucking hot. The way his jaw tightens when he shows signs of anger is hot. The way his blue eyes shine in broad day light is hot. The way he talks is hot. The way he smirks is hot. The way his fawn hair frames his face when it moves out of place is hot. The scar that runs down his neck to his chest is hot. I need to get a grip.

I've been too busy stuck in my thoughts about Malakai to realise that the line is coming to and end and we'll soon be checking in at security. Thank God. 

*******

"Bienvenue à Bordeaux, Miss Beaumont." (TS: Welcome to Bordeaux)

"Merci," I thank the polite airport security before walking away.(TS: Thank you)