Who knows what's behind the mask?

I was sitting in my room thinking about how the last ball went, it went really good actually.
I got caught up in my thoughts about the ball and the girl I met, Vanessa. I was so excited to meet her again! I ran to my sister Alexia’s room and pushed open her door.

"Don't you think Vanessa, the daughter of the merchant is certainly beautiful?" I asked Alexia.

"Y-yes why do you ask this suddenly?" Alexia replied.

She wasn't paying much attention to me as she was painting.

"Ever since I saw her at the party, I couldn't truly stop thinking about her, the way she talks, the way she glances, everything is more than adorable."

I pause for a second.

"So, I want her to attend the masquerade ball next week. Father would be more than glad to know we are acquainted with Mr. Worsfold's daughter, don't you think so?" I continued.

"Mhm hmm. I see, so why are you here again?" Alexia asked as she put the brush down and turned around.

"Can you send her an invitation letter? I mean, I could do it myself but I don't know how to. Plus, don't you think it would be awkward if I do so?" I requested.

I notice her hesitating at first but then she nods in agreement. I felt elated!

"Thank you, I'm looking forward to it." I said.

My eyes fall on the canvas. "What are you painting?" I asked.

"A glimpse of heaven. I know you don't care. You are just showing interest because you have a favour to ask for." she said.

She’s acting quite short-tempered, I thought to myself. As I left the room she said she’ll write the letter and send it. I was very thankful!

[The day of the masquerade ball]

I got up early that day and started getting ready, I was most certainly excited! I put on my finest black suit and fix my hair to look the best, I put on my shiny black mask over my face and go downstairs. I got into the carriage and went off to the ball.

The ball seemed quite eventful. Everyone was wearing such elegant gowns and suits, their masks are gleaming, their eyes glistening.

At the ball I spot Vanessa in a beautiful black gown. I go up to her and greet her. "Hey Vannesa!"

She turns around to face me and replies with the sweetest smile, "Hello, Oliver!"

"You look beautiful-"

“How do you know? I’m wearing a mask. Who knows what's behind the mask?” replied Vanessa.

"Tr-ue" I said with slight hesitance.

“Sorry, I was just joking. Thank you. You look handsome as well”

“Thank you” I said.

I offered Vannesa my hand and asked her to go dance with me, she accepted and then we went off to dance.

Vanessa looks rather distracted today. Perhaps, she’s just nervous? I passed Vanessa over to another gentleman and back to me. I pull her closer and start dancing again. But then, I hear someone call my name from the back.

"I will be right back. I'm so sorry." I say to Vannesa.
“It’s okay.” said Vanessa.

I went over to who it was, it seemed to be one of my fathers old friends. We talked for a while and caught up on some new things.

After a while, I went over back to Vanessa but it seemed she was talking with someone else, I didn't want to disturb so I walked over to the end of the hall and had a small chat with some of the people there.

I looked at Vanessa again and saw that she was free, I went up to her and asked how she was liking the ball.

“Hey Vanessa! Are enjoying the ball?”

“Hello Oliver! It’s been very great so far, thank you so much for asking.” She said.

Alas, it was getting late. And we soon had to part our ways and bid goodbye.