11

Kenshin was relieved to finally be back home, he had enjoyed some parts of their trip, but he was mostly stressed for the most part. He wanted nothing more than to drink a warm cup of tea and survive the rest of the summer without getting too sick.

"Home sweet home!" Shigure announced happily, but Kenshin only glared in the man's direction, his headache causing him to wince slightly. "As fun as that was, it's nice to be back." The man continued.

"You've returned at last!" A familiar and thunderous voice exclaimed. "You must be fatigued from your long journey. Come rest. Relax and make yourselves at home, intrepid travelers."

"What a surprise. It's so nice to see you!" Tohru exclaimed happily.

"Ah, sweet Tohru." Ayame said, "How was your little trip? An enlightening experience?"

"Hey, how the hell did you get into the house?" Kyo yelled, voicing everyone else's question. But Kenshin had already deducted that Shigure had forgotten to lock up before leaving, and the snake had taken the chance to slithered in.

"Now, Kyo, take it easy. Aya was kind enough to house sit for us while we were gone." Shigure told them, trying to save himself from the embarrassment of leaving the house for anyone to break in.

"Tell me you didn't go into my room Aya." Kenshin said, hoping that the man hadn't taken his messy behavior anywhere close to his room.

"Is that the story we're going with?" Ayame asked, ignoring Kenshin's question. Letting out a deep sigh Kenshin prepared himself to call Hatori for help.

"'House sitting'? Right. You forgot to lock up, didn't you?" Yuki asked pointedly.

"Guilty as charged." Shigure admitted while Kenshin shot the man another glare. "But anyway, why did you miss out on all the fun, Aya?"

"Summer is the season of romance, so my shop was simply swamped with orders."

"Um, Shigure?" Tohru chirped timidly.

"Yes?"

"Would it be okay if I made a phone call real quick?"

"Why are you asking him for permission, rice ball? This is your house too." Kenshin told her with a smile.

"Um, are you sure?" Tohru asked, her voice holding a hint of uncertainty, but Kenshin only nodded in her direction before hearing the girl's footsteps fade into the hallway.

"So, did you come here for a reason? Other than to annoy me." Yuki asked his brother, already annoyed by the man even though they had just gotten home, not that Kenshin blamed him.

"I heard Akito made a trip to the summer house. I'm sorry. You needed your big brother. And I failed to protect you once again. But I'm here for you now. I shall hold you in my arms tonight and heal your wounded heart with my brotherly love!" Ayame exclaimed, changing from serious to dramatic in his usual Ayame way.

"No way. I mean it--stay back!" Yuki told his brother as he kept taking steps back.

The two continued to argue, with Ayame yelling loudly while Yuki gave blunt responses until Ayame decided to run away from the living room to the hallway. Kenshin could hear Ayame yelling from the hall, but he had too much of a headache to pay attention to the man's extravagant way of being.