20

Kenshin let out a sigh as he stood in front of the main house. It had been nearly five months since he had stepped foot in the main house, having avoided Akito at all cost while also making sure to cause her pain. It might've been selfish of him, but he wanted his sister to understand that what she did was wrong and that she needed to treat the zodiac members better.

Finally finding his resolve, Kenshin walked up to the door before knocking, he heard as the door opened smoothly. "Master Kenshin!" A maid exclaimed in surprise as she opened the door.

"Good afternoon. I came to see Akito." Kenshin said politely.

"O-Of course. Um, Would you like me to help you find your way?" The woman said, still shocked. Not that Kenshin blamed her; he hadn't been at the main house since before the summer trip, and no doubt rumors were going around about the conflict between the two siblings.

"No, that's alright." Kenshin responded with a charming smile as he began to make his way to Akito's room, leaving the woman behind in her shocked state.

Walking down the many halls, Kenshin wondered how Akito would react when she saw him. Maybe she would throw something at him or hold her anger in until after he had Kenshin was never sure what to expect when it came to Akito.

Once he arrived at her door, Kenshin came to a stop, taking a deep breath before finally sliding the door open, not even bothering to knock, knowing that if he did, it would only give the girl on the other side more time to think about what was happening. Kenshin honestly wanted to get their reunion over with as quickly as possible.

"Kenshin?" Akito asked in a whisper.

His sister's soft and fragile voice came from the other side of the room near where her window would be; Kenshin came to the conclusion that Akito must've been looking outside before he stepped in. Something she would typically do when she felt lonely.

"It's me." The man spoke, closing the door behind him. Kenshin knew that their reunion wouldn't be pleasant; he knew that Akito would surely get angry and do something rash. He had known that since the moment he walked away that night.

"What are you doing here?" The girl asked, her voice holding a hint of resentment.

"I thought it was time to come back to your side." Kenshin told her with a soft smile.

Akito let out a scoff, "What did you run out of people to hurt so you came crawling back to me?"

"Oh, come on, Aki, you did something bad, and you needed to be punished for it." Kenshin told her.

"I'm god!" The girl exclaimed angrily, her footsteps rushing towards Kenshin until she was right in front of him. "You have no right to punish me for anything."

"Even gods are punished for their mistakes." Kenshin responded bluntly, knowing that if he tried to change the subject, it would end badly, so instead, he decided to face the conversation head-on.

"What would you know about gods?" Akito asked rhetorically, "You're only as being that serves under a god."

"Maybe, but there are many stories about gods in the world, and in some, they learn that their mistakes have consequences." The young man said thoughtfully.

Kenshin knew that they wouldn't resolve anything if he and Akito kept going back and forth, so instead, he decided to change the conversation. "But I didn't come here to argue with you." He said, reaching out to his sister and wrapping her into a hug. "I've missed you, little sister."

"Sure seems like it." Akito said, the resentment in her voice never fading.

"I'm sure you could tell how hard it was to stay away. It's hard for all of us, but I had to prove a point."

"I thought you said you didn't care about the boy." The girl whispered, suddenly changing the subject as she hugged her brother, Akito couldn't deny that she had missed him, but she also couldn't forget how he had abandoned her that night. She couldn't stop herself from asking what she had been wondering the entire time since that night just to see if it would hurt him too.

Kenshin thought about what he could say, but for the first time in a long time, he couldn't think of a lie or an evasive comment to say. He had been silent too long, and he knew that anything he said now would only sound like the lie it was.

"Huh, so you lied to me about that?"

"If you already know the answer, why ask?"

"Because I wanted to see if you would lie to my face." Akito told him.

"You're right." Kenshin said, releasing his sister and taking a step back, "I do care about the boy."

"Why?" Akito asked.

Kenshin let out a small laugh, "Honestly... I have no idea."

"Liar."

"It's true." Kenshin said honestly.

"Do you care about the girl?" Akito asked. Kenshin hid a knowing smile since Akito had finally asked what she actually wanted to know. Momiji had only been part of it, but Akito would always feel more threatened by Tohru than anyone else. Tohru was an outsider that the zodiacs had come to care about on their own free will, after all.

"No, I only care about you and the zodiacs but not outsiders." Kenshin reassured his sister.

"How do I know that's not a lie?"

"Because, like you said many times before, we will always come back to your side no matter what happens." Kenshin said matter-of-factly, causing Akito to relax in assurance. She was god, after all, and the zodiacs would always come back to her; they had an unbreakable bond, and Kenshin coming back to her side was all the reassurance she needed at the time.

"Let's sit down; we have a lot to talk about." Akito said as she made her way towards the window.

"Yes, we do." Kenshin agreed, smiling kindly.

---

I hope you guys like this chapter! 

And thank you for the suggestions I think once I'm finished with the series I will write short stories about Kenshin's life.