22

The weather had begun to get colder and colder as the season changed, causing Kenshin to get even busier at the Sohma estate and since he had gone back to Akito. The girl had made sure to keep him by her side more often than she had before, no doubt afraid that she would lose him if she didn't hold on as tight as she could. Not that Kenshin blamed her, he sometimes found himself longing for the freedom he had had when he was intentionally ignoring her.

"You look like you're in deep thought." Hatori commented his tone was grumpier than usual since they were currently rehearsing for the banquet performance. Hatori had been chosen to perform a dance with Momiji, who had agreed eagerly, while the older man had agreed because Akito had made him. Kenshin, as usual, would be playing an instrument for their dance, so the three had to practice together at times.

"Oh, you caught me." Kenshin spoke with a smile.

"It seems that you've been in deep thought a lot lately." The man continued. Kenshin shrugged the smile on his lips, never faltering. "You're imagining things, Tori. I bet you just want to talk, so we don't have to continue practicing."

"Hmm, it sounds like you want to change the subject."

"Wow! Tori, did you just call me out?" Kenshin asked with feigned surprise.

"You should really stop acting like this whenever you want others to leave you alone." Hatori told the young man.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He responded, deciding to play dumb.

"If you say so, but if you ask me, it looks like something's bothering you."

"Then good thing no one did." Kenshin said with a sly smile, but he knew how close Hatori had gotten to the truth, and it worried him.

It was true that he had been in thought more than he usually was, and the reason was because he had been trying to find different ways to get Akito to loosen her hold on him, but nothing had worked so far. It was as if ever since the two had begun to speak again, she had tightened the hold she had on him, and it was starting to suffocate him.

"Reme-" Hatori began before being cut off. "What's going on?" Momiji asked, walking into the room, causing the two men to stop their conversation.

"Oh, nothing. Hatori and I were just saying that we've had enough practice for today."

"Really, already?" The boy asked, confused and Kenshin nodded.

"Ich muss gehen und mich um ein paar Dinge für das Bankett kümmern. Also geh nach Hause, okay." Kenshin told the boy.

"Ja! Bis später Kenshi!" Momiji said happily as Kenshin walked past him ruffling his hair affectionately before making his way out.

Kenshin let out a sigh as he remembered the conversation he and the others in the house had had a few nights ago. He was relieved that Tohru and Kyo would be spending the new year with Kazuma along with Isuzu; now he only had to worry about Yuki, who had decided to spend new years with the rest of the zodiacs and Akito. 

---

Kenshin, Shigure, and Yuki sat in the living area around the table while Tohru excitedly showed off her new scarf to Kyo, who instead of telling her it was cute or pretty, told her that she was going to hit someone with it.