13

Kenshin looked in Shigure's direction disbelief written all over his face, "You did not." He couldn't believe the words that had just come out of the man's mouth. Kenshin had just gotten home later than usual when Shigure dragged him into his office to inform him that he would be going to Tohru's career counseling interview in place of her grandfather.

"Oh yes, I did!" The man responded cheerfully.

"You're only doing it because you want to annoy Mayuko." Kenshin stated bluntly.

"Oh, of course, I did but I also want to help our dear Tohru."

"I don't believe the last part in the slightest." He retorted, "I bet Hatori wouldn't like it if I told him you're playing with his new 'friend'."

"But it's so fun to make her angry!" Shigure whined, "Don't ruin my fun, Kenshin!"

"I will ruin your fun if you don't offer me something in return for keeping your little game a secret."

"Why are you so cruel?!" Shigure asked as Kenshin smiled wickedly in the man's direction. Kenshin knew that if he wanted anything from Shigure, it was always best to blackmail him using Hatori.

"Because I am my mother's son after all." He told him matter-of-factly.

---

A few days after blackmailing Shigure for a favor that Kenshin was bound to use in the near future, he found himself with Ayame the two enjoying a cup of tea in his shop; it had become a weekly event for the two to come together.

"It seems career counseling interviews are coming up, and apparently, your little brother has decided on asking your mother to attend." Kenshin commented, his eyes closed as he leaned back in his chair, a warm cup of tea resting in his hands.

Ayame let out a sad sigh, "Yes, I heard the same from Shigure, I have to admit I was rather shocked at first, but then again, it's not like he would ask me to attend."

At the older man's words Kenshin smiled, "I doubt Yuki's asking her because he wants her there it most likely because he thinks you're too busy with work, but if you were to ask me, I think this is your chance to finally break through to your brother. It's the perfect opportunity after all." He continued looking in the man's direction.

"Do you really think he'll accept my love this time?" Ayame asked, unsure if he should involve himself in something so serious.

Kenshin put a hand under his chin and smiled at his friend, "There's no way to know for certain unless you try, so do what you didn't when Yuki was just a small boy and needed you." He knew that Yuki needed his brother in his life, and this time, Ayame was ready to meet him halfway, even if it meant standing up to their mother.

---

"Well then, how do I look?" Shigure asked, walking into the living room.

Kenshin looked up in the man's direction giving him a glare, "Did you really just ask me that?"

"Of course I did. I'm wearing Hatori's suit after all, and I wanted to know if it made me look professional."

"Don't you have your own suits you can wear, or is this some type of way to torture Mayuko even more than she already will be?"

"You got it in one!" Shigure answered happily.

"Just remember if I'm going to keep this from Hatori, you owe me a favor."

"Of course, I would never forget that, not after the last time." He said, obviously remembering what had happened the last time Shigure hadn't kept his end of a deal involving Kenshin. And with that, Shigure was off to Tohru's conference ready to torture the girl's poor teacher.

Hours later, while Kenshin had been enjoying a relaxing day of quiet without anyone home, it was rudely interrupted by an overly excited and annoying voice. "Kenshin, guess what? I got what I wanted from Mayu!" Shigure exclaimed as he barged into the house, causing Kenshin to drop his book.

"You made me drop my book." Kenshin said bluntly as he stared at the ground, knowing that his book was somewhere down there.

"There's no time for that! I need to tell you everything that happened while it's still fresh in my mind." The older man said surly, waving Kenshin off. And with that, Shigure went into a detailed retelling of everything that happened and how Mayuko had reacted the whole time.

---

"There's so much rain today, isn't there, Tori?" Kenshin commented as he sat in Hatori's office, the smell of freshly soaked dirt filling his nose. The two had been talking after Kenshin's weekly appointment when suddenly Hatori's phone rang, "Hmm, was that your phone?"

"Yes." Hatori responds bluntly before letting out a tired sigh, "It seems Ayame went to Yuki's interview, and now I have to live with the fact that he's sending me a detailed report of everything that's happening."

Kenshin smiled knowingly, "I'm glad he was able to make it before his mother could use Yuki any further."

"You planned this, didn't you?" Hatori asked, no doubt reading Ayame's texts while he talked.

"No, not really. I just gave Ayame a slight nudge in the right direction, that's all." Kenshin informed the man with a shrug.