23 Part 1

Later that night, as it came time for the new year to begin, Kureno was making his way back to his room, knowing that no one would spend it with him since the banquet had ended abruptly because of what had happened.

The man was prepared to spend the rest of his night locked up in his room alone, living with the cold that always seemed to surround him, but that night he was stopped before he could reach his room. Kureno found himself hoping it was Kenshin, but he knew it was wishful thinking instead; it was Momiji.

The small blonde quickly ran to him, calling out his name loud enough for the man to hear but quiet enough so no one else could. "I have a present... from Tohru." The boy said, the smile on his face never wavering before running off again in the direction he had come from.

Kureno stared after the boy, wondering what sort of present the girl had wanted to give him as he reached into his back pocket pulling out a clear case with a disk inside, and on it, it had the words: "Watch this alone."

He wondered why he had to watch it alone, but before he could overthink it, Hitomi called out to him, informing him that Akito had locked herself in her room, ordering that no one disturb her. Letting out a sigh, Kureno nodded in understanding before continuing on his way.

Wondering how long it would take Akito to accept what had happened, Kureno closed his door and made his way to his computer before pulling out the disk and staring at it. He wanted to know why Tohru had wanted him to have it. What could possibly be so important that she would ask Momiji to hand it to him.

Finally placing the disk in, the man sat back as he waited for it to begin playing, but when it did, he held in his breath as he heard soft melodic music playing as a familiar figure sat with his back to the camera.

The music was elegant but sorrowful, sweet but bitter, confident yet insecure, as if the musician was letting all of his emotions out with each note.

Kureno reached out, placing a gentle hand on the screen as a single tear slid down his cheek. He watched as the man continued to play, completely unaware of the camera behind him, assuming he was alone and able to compose without the worry of anyone else hearing.

As he watched, Kureno felt as if he was intruding on someone who had completely let down their guard, but he couldn't find it in himself to take his eyes off the screen. It had been a long time since Kureno had seen Kenshin so vulnerable with his emotions. Of course, the man knew Kenshin kept most if not all of his negative emotions hidden from the world, but at that moment, he seemed free from all of the hiding.

Putting his face in his hands, Kureno listened as the heartbreaking melody came to an end, and at that moment, he found himself with a new resolve, planning for something he had never even thought of doing before. 

---

Kureno sat on the park bench, patiently waiting for Tohru to pass by. He had called the house, hoping that she would be the one to answer; instead, it was Shigure, the man that hated him more than anyone else in his life ever had.

Their relationship hadn't always been so strained. The two had actually been friends growing up; it wasn't until Akito had begun to keep Kureno closer than anyone else that Shigure began despising him. Kureno honestly missed the days he, Shigure, Ayame, Hatori, and Kenshin played together or hung out without the warriors they had now that they were adults.