(Year 3) Chapter-13

"He sent me this," Hermione said, holding out the letter

Harry took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione,
We lost.
I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you and Elara gave us.
Hagrid

"They can't do this," said Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

Elara had frozen in her place. She couldn't believe they lost the trial. Harry seemed to realize what the girl was thinking and interlaced their hands together, trying to bring her comfort.

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," said Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope...Nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," said Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione. I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Harry and Elara grinned at each other then smirked at Ron. Finally, Hermione drew away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobbed.

"Oh -- well -- he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

The quartet made their way to the common room. Elara turned towards Ron and threatened, ''Ron, I'm glad that you and Hermy made up, but if you make her cry again I will hex you, got it?''

Ron's eye widened and he nodded in fear as the other two laughed. Elara and Hermione hooked hands together and started walking ahead of the boys.

''Your girlfriend is scary, Harry. I wonder what will happen to you in the future once you marry her.'' Ron teased Harry who turned beet red.

''She is not my girlfriend!'' Harry exclaimed hastily still red.

''Yes she isn't but you do wish she was, don't you?''

''Yes I do,'' Harry said absentmindly looking at Elara. His eyes widened as he registered ehat he said. Ron roared with laughter as Harry turned even more red.

☆*: .。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in made it impossible for Harry, Elara, Ron, and Hermione to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Their only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione and the events that Elara provided. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."

"There's still the appeal!" said Elara fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"