(Year 4) Chapter-11

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Harry, Elara, Ron, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Harry, Elara, Ron, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad...outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures...damn it, we're still with the Slytherins...."

"Double Divination this afternoon," Harry groaned, looking down. Divination was his least favorite subject, apart from Potions. Professor Trelawney kept predicting Harry's death, which he found extremely annoying.

''That teacher is a lunatic,'' Elara said dramatically. ''I can't stand her telling me again that I am going to fall in love.'' Harry glanced at her.

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

''I would have if someone hadn't stopped me,'' Elara said playfully glaring at Harry who gave her a cheeky and innocent smile. 

"You're eating again, I notice," said Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," said Hermione haughtily.

''You mean after the lecture I gave you yesterday?'' smirked Elara causing Hermione to roll her eyes playfully. 

"Yeah...and you were hungry," said Ron, grinning as he and Elara shared a high-five.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail. Instinctively, Harry looked up, but there was no sign of white among the mass of brown and gray. The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel into his lap - Neville almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home. Ruby, Elara's family owl, brought her three letters, one from her parents, uncle Stefan and godfather, Remus Lupin. Trying to ignore the sinking feeling of disappointment in his stomach, Harry returned to his porridge. Was it possible that something had happened to Hedwig, and that Sirius hadn't even got his letter?

Elara as if sensed what Harry was thinking, gently held his hand and whispered, ''Don't worry, Har. I am sure he will reply soon.'' Harry gave her a thankful smile and a squeeze on her hand.

The two talked to each other, walking hands in hand until they arrived in greenhouse three, but here they were distracted by Professor Sprout showing the class the ugliest plants Harry had ever seen. Indeed, they looked less like plants than thick, black, giant slugs, protruding vertically out of the soil. Each was squirming slightly and had a number of large, shiny swellings upon it, which appeared to be full of liquid.