Port Royal

Narcissa Davis woke up to the sound of someone knocking on her door.

"Alright, alright, I'm up," she called.

Throwing on a lavender robe Narcissa opened the door to find a maid carrying a box.

"Governor Swann asked me to deliver this" the maid said.

"Thank you Maria." Narcissa said as she took the box. Closing the door she set it on the bed and found a pretty dark green dress with a little embroidery as a well as a matching hat.

For twelve years now Narcissa had acted the part of sister and companion to the governor's daughter Elizabeth. Despite the fact that this technically made her a servant the governor had always treated her nearly equal to his daughter.

Narcissa grabbed a shirt and pair of tight pants as well as a vest and dressed in them before slipping the green dress over the top and calling one of the maids to lace her up. She would be practicing sword fighting with her best friend Will Turner and didn't want the hassle of changing into more moveable clothes.

Once she was dressed Narcissa pinned her auburn hair up in an acceptable style and tied the hat on top blue eyes focused on getting the pins just right. Her hair and eyes had always been her favorite feature for not only was the combination rare but it reminded her of her father.

After putting on her mother's ring, Narcissa made her way to Elizabeth's room and once given permission to enter stepped inside. Elizabeth was behind a changing screen and Governor Swann stood just outside it wearing a long wig large hat crème waistcoat, black breeches and green jacket.

"Ah Narcissa, you look lovely."

"Thank you for the dress governor." She heard Elizabeth gasp.

"Everything alright Liz?" she asked moving to help the maid dressing Elizabeth.

"This corset seems to have been designed as a torture device," replied Elizabeth.

Narcissa pursed her lips from what she knew corsets weren't terrible if fitted right but Elizabeth seemed to have been stuck with a poor one. Taking the laces she tried to loosen them slightly.

"You know Captain Norrington is quite fond of you," the governor told Elizabeth who exchanged an exasperated look with Narcissa. Lately Governor Swann had been rather focused on the marriage train.

They were spared further thought on the subject as someone knocked on the door.

"The blacksmith is here," came the voice of a maid.

"Yes, we're coming," called Governor Swann. Elizabeth came out from behind the screen and Governor Swann smiled at her. Narcissa couldn't help the twinge of jealousy she felt. She missed having her own father there to give her that same loving look.

Narcissa hurried out onto the landing to see William Turner below. He was a handsome young man with slightly long brown hair and blue eyes. Not that Narcissa had ever really been attracted to him. He was like a brother.

"Hello Will," she said with an impish grin.

He jumped and looked slightly guilty as he shoved a broken object into a vase.

"Oh, Cissa, hello. Don't tell anyone about..."

"About what? I didn't see a thing." Narcissa told him with a knowing smirk as she stepped down the stairs and whispered.

"Still on for today?"

"I'll meet you at the shop this afternoon." Will told her.

"Ah Mr. Turner, good to see you again," said Governor Swann coming down the stairs.

"Good day sir, I have your order," said Will with a polite bow as he held out the long box he was carrying. The governor opened it to reveal an elegantly made sword.

"The blade is folded steel. That's gold filigree laid into the handle... if I may..." Will took the sword and balanced it on one finger at the point where the blade met the guard.

"Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly the full width of the blade," he flipped it catching the handle and causing the Governor to jump back. Will laid the sword back in the box. 

"My compliments to your Master."

 Narcissa held back a scoff at Weatherby Swann's words. When the Governor turned away she whispered.

"Why do you let him give Brown all the credit? You did all the work."

"Who would believe me?" replied Will.

"Will!" Narcissa and Will looked up to see Elizabeth on the landing dressed in a similar although slightly more intricate dress to Narcissa. She had her golden brown hair pulled up on top of her head.

Narcissa smirked to herself at the awestruck look on Will's face. She knew Elizabeth and Will were head over heels in love with each other. But propriety and their own stubbornness stopped them from confessing it.

"I had a dream about you." Narcissa resisted a very unlady like snort at Elizabeth's words.

"Elizabeth that's hardly appropriate..." Elizabeth cut her father off,

"About the day we met. Do you remember?" she asked Will as she came down the stairs. 

"I could never forget it Miss Swann," said Will politely.

"How many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth?" Elizabeth looked slightly disappointed.

"At least once more Miss Swann," said Will although Narcissa could see it was hard for him to act distant.

"Come along Elizabeth, Narcissa," called Governor Swann from the carriage.

"Ah yes, Borrington awaits," quipped Narcissa heading for the carriage.

"Goodbye Mr. Turner" said Elizabeth stiffly. Narcissa rolled her eyes and followed although she thought she heard Will whisper

"Goodbye Elizabeth."

PotC

Maybe it was just Narcissa but fancy ceremonies always bored her. She was more concerned with how rapidly Elizabeth was fanning herself.

"Are you alright?" she whispered.

"I'm fine Cissy. Just a bit short of breath."

"If you're sure," muttered Narcissa skeptically. 

Mercifully the ceremony ended soon after. A string quartet began to play as the reception began. Narcissa stayed with Elizabeth until they were approached by Commodore Norrington. 

He was a tall man wearing a white wig, a black tricorn, and a dark blue uniform with gold detail. The sword made by will hung at his side.

"Miss Swann, Miss Davis," he said politely giving them a bow. Both women curtsied. Narcissa knew there wasn't anything inherently bad about James, but he was a bit too by the book for her taste. Not to mention he'd have her hanged if he knew her past. 

"I was wondering if I could have a word in private with Miss Swann?" he asked glancing at Narcissa who turned away with Elizabeth to confer for a moment.

"Do you want me to stay?" Elizabeth shook her head.

"I'll be fine. I know you're dying to slip away. I'll see you back at the house." They turned back to Norrington who looked hopeful.

"Very well Commodore," said Elizabeth as she took his arm and they walked away. Narcissa swiftly moved towards the exit, snagging a green apple from the refreshment table as she went. 

Authors Note: I know this is a bit slow but I needed to do some set up. I promise the next chapters will get more exciting. In answer to a question a commenter asked we will get occasional flashbacks to Narcissa's past. Thank you to those who commented so far it means a lot. If you like this story please let me know what you think in the comments. Thanks for reading! Until next week!