The Curse

Evening came and Elizabeth and Narcissa made their way to the Captain's cabin. She wore a navy blue dress while Elizabeth wore a similar burgundy one. All the crew seemed to be giving Narcissa a wide birth.

"Why does the crew seem so wary of you?" Elizabeth asked. Narcissa laughed.

"Oh, Father most likely threated to castrate them if they touched me." They entered the cabin to see an array of various food laid out on the table.

"Nice of you to join me," her father said with. Narcissa smiled while Elizabeth still looked nervous. They sat down at the table, Narcissa taking a seat next to Elizabeth, diagonal from her father.

Both girls began to eat. Elizabeth ate as if she were dining with royalty while Narcissa, simply took a green apple and using her knife cut a slice as she ate it. Green apples were one of her favorites much like her father and she wondered at the fact that he hadn't taken one yet. In fact he hadn't taken any food. She gave him a quizzical look.

Suddenly Jack the monkey jumped from his perch to Narcissa's shoulder and she cut him a small piece of banana.

"There's no need for ceremony." her father Elizabeth who then took a chicken leg and bit into in an un-lady like manner.

"Try the wine," he said handing her a goblet and she took a gulp.

"And the apples, try one of those next." Elizabeth paused.

"It's poisoned," she said. Her father was about to answer when Narcissa interjected.

"I highly doubt that Elizabeth. Even if I hadn't made my father promise not to harm you, he clearly wants you alive for some reason. Otherwise there would have been no point in taking you from Port Royal in the first place. My guess being it has something to do with that medallion and the name Turner." That much at least made sense.

"Clever girl," said her father and Narcissa felt a swell of pride at the words.

"Do you know what this is?" he asked them holding the gold medallion Jack gave him.

"A pirate medallion," replied Elizabeth.

"Aye this is Aztec gold. One of 882 pieces delivered in a stone chest to Cortes. Blood money paid to stem the slaughter he wreaked upon his enemies. But the greed of Cortes was insatiable. So the heathen gods placed a terrible curse upon the gold. Any mortal that removes but a single piece would be cursed for eternity.

"I hardly believe in ghost stories anymore Captain," said Elizabeth skeptically. Narcissa however, narrowed her eyes, intrigued. Her father began to walk around the table.

"That's exactly what we thought when we were first told the tale. Buried on the island of the dead that cannot be found except by those who know where it is."

"I presume you found it then," said Narcissa.

"Aye that we did," he said pausing by Elizabeth's chair and getting down to her eye level. "Find it we did. There be the chest. Inside be the gold. And we took em' all." Narcissa couldn't help but smile as he pulled his fist in to add emphasis. Her father always had a talent for storytelling. "Spent em' and traded em'. Frittered em' away on drink, food, and pleasurable company." This time Narcissa winced at the last phrase.

"Too much information father," she muttered. She expected her father had slept with other women after her mother but it didn't make hearing about her father's sex life any less awkward. He came to stand behind her chair now.

"The more we gave em' away, the more we came to realize that drink would not satisfy. Food turned to ash in our mouths, and the pleasurable company could not slake our lust." Narcissa gave an exasperated groan and looking up saw her father smirk, she knew he was teasing her however his face turned serious again a moment later.