03.

Bruce Wayne is many things. Including but not limited to: a superhero, a friend, a father, a ruthless businessman, or simply just a smooth-talking, clever man who always seems to have a girl on his arm. But most importantly, Bruce Wayne is a billionaire. He's filthy rich and very influential, something Venus uses to her advantage.  

So, he got Venus into Gotham University, free of charge. He got Venus her own apartment near the college and enrolled in her classes of choice, all in thirty minutes. Jade and Roy helped her pack her things, stripping down her old room and shoving everything into suitcases and bags. She unpacked her stuff months ago, decorating the small apartment to her liking. 

She liked Gotham University well enough. She surprisingly enjoys her classes, and has actually met a few new acquaintances. Venus is proud to say she's adjusting swimmingly and hasn't gone running back to Jade, Roy, or Dick yet. She's stayed in touch with them, of course, calling them once a week. She meets with Dick sometimes to get coffee, too. 

All in all, Venus's life is going pretty smoothly right now. She hasn't done anything remotely violent in the five months she's been enrolled, and she's enjoying her life of normalcy. 

She was, until today. It's a Saturday and rain fell from the skies savagely, dousing her window with sloppy raindrops. The gloomy weather was fitting, she supposed, for Jason's birthday. 

Venus has been doing so well the past few months; she hasn't necessarily forgot about Jason, she's just been slowly learning how to live without him, how to find herself. He's been pushed to the back of her mind, still looming over her indefinitely, but still, in the back of her mind. 

You have to remember that Venus met Jason only a week after Jade and Roy took her in, not giving her much time to separate her mind, her personality from who she was trained to be. Sure, Jason did help her discover many things about herself and the world, but she doesn't really know who she is without him. He's always been there, acting as her anchor to this strange, new world. 

But his birthday still hit her hard. She was harshly reminded that her best friend, her soulmate is gone, and he's never coming back. It's almost two in the afternoon and Venus hasn't bothered to get out of bed yet. She's been buried beneath her covers, ignoring her buzzing phone. It was probably Jade and Roy, maybe even Dick. It was times like these when she felt so incredibly selfish.

She forgets she's not the only one who lost Jason; Dick lost his brother that day, Bruce his son, and Roy his best friend. Venus is literally not the only one grieving for him, but she is the one who seems to be taking it the hardest. Like why is she so emotionally attached still? He's not even alive, yet he's still the center of her universe. She applauds her efforts, though. She's been slowly healing, she thinks, but his birthday kind of just sent her for a loop.

Venus jumped, startled when she heard a loud knock on on her door. She slammed her pillow over her head and groaned when the knocking continued. 

"I know you're in there Venus!" The knocker spoke, raising their voice. 

She sat up slowly and scowled, flipping them off through the door. "Go away!"

"I will break down the door," They threatened seriously. 

Venus frowned, debating. She knew plenty of questionable people who would actually break down her door just for the fun of it, and she really didn't feel like fixing it. 

Rolling her eyes, she slowly got up and walked towards the door, wrapping her blanket around her. "Coming! Chill out."

She opened the door to reveal Dick grinning at her in a dark raincoat.