04.

The rain has slowed to a soft mist, though the sky didn't clear up. The mass of dark grey clouds stayed, contributing to the gloomy atmosphere in Gotham City. Venus thought it was only fitting for Jason's nineteenth birthday.

She made her way through the old cobblestone pathway, grass growing between the stones. Her skin began to thin as she clutched the small bunch of wildflowers tightly in her hand. Venus tried her best to ignore the engraved stones she passed and walked towards a clearing under a blossoming tree. Venus wavered at the sight of it.

It was beautiful; the grass was especially green in this area, and the tree had pink and white flowers hanging from its branches. Fallen petals surrounded the large slab of stone underneath it, falling softly onto it with a sigh. It was peaceful; absolutely silent, aside from the quiet sounds of the tree swaying. Venus was thankful for the secluded aura. She didn't need anyone seeing her cry.

She stood for a moment, watching the petals fall around her and breathing in the crispness of the air. The cold breeze bit harshly on her reddened cheeks, strands of her hair gently blowing around her. Venus felt a sense of serenity for the first time in six months. She felt absolutely nothing as she stood under the tree, and it was a good thing, she thinks. It was good compared to the anger and sadness that has been consuming her lately.

She started crying, though, when she knelt in front of his gravestone. It was an elegant, shiny stone, curtesy of Bruce Wayne, engraved with his name. Rest In Peace, Jason Todd. She hoped he was thriving in whatever came after death; he deserves it. He deserves the world, though she could never give it to him.

Peering through her wet lashes, she traced his name with her fingertips slowly, collecting dust onto the pads of her fingers. She silently apologized for not coming to see him sooner, for not coming to his funeral. She just knew she couldn't bear it, being around Bruce and dozens of strangers mourning when they didn't even know him. She couldn't stand to see Jason's dead body, caked in makeup to hide the bruises and cuts scarring his face. She would've lost it, surely, if she attended his funeral.

She supposes she was scared to visit him. She was scared to accept it, accept that he is six feet under and never coming back. But Venus is done waiting, she's done rotting in her apartment. She's done half expecting Jason to knock on her door like nothing ever happened. Jason Todd is dead, and there is nothing she can do about it. So now it's time to say her final goodbyes.

Venus pressed her palm daintily against the stone, tears falling freely now. She gently laid the wildflowers she picked onto the base of the grave, arranging them neatly. She mourned for the loss of her best friend, her lover, and kissed her fingertips before placing them gently by his name. May we meet again, Jason Todd.