17.

"So, what'd you guys do last night?"

Venus's head snapped up to the dark-haired boy sitting beside her. She blinked a couple of times, annoyed that she zoned out. It was important that she remain alert and aware from now on; letting her guard down could result in disaster, one that she may have welcomed a couple months ago. But she's mostly mentally stable now, and she has her life together, so she would prefer it to stay that way.

She shrugged, adjusting her sunglasses. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Jason glared at her condescendingly before returning his attention to the road. The two were driving to the bunker Jason has been staying in since his resurrection; he had a good amount of clothes and gadgets in there that he insisted he bring to her apartment. Normally Venus would drive, since Jason doesn't even have his license and he's legally dead, but she didn't want to risk passing out. Her and Jade got back a few hours after midnight, so Venus didn't get much sleep. But she never gets enough sleep in the first place, so she really shouldn't complain.

"You're hungover, aren't you?" He said in mock disappointment. "That's why you're wearing those huge sunglasses."

"I thought they looked good?" Venus defended as she crossed her arms. "And no, I am not hungover. I wear these all the time." The lie came smoothly, and Jason was none the wiser. She figured that she should attempt to disguise herself just a little after last night. The thought of someone following her, stalking her, made her skin crawl.

A small smile crept across his face. "I'm sure you do. And to be clear, I would be extremely crushed if you went to the Iceberg Lounge without me."

"No, Jason, we did not go clubbing without you," Venus said dryly, throwing her hands behind the headrest. "Why, did you and Roy bust some Penguin ass without me?"

"I would never!" Jason gasped, switching lanes abruptly. "I actually apologized to Barbara and went right back to the apartment. No funny business."

Venus pulled her sunglasses onto the top of her head and glanced at Jason sneakily. "Anyways, what's your plan now? Like, are you going to continue with this Red Hood thing? Or just chill out and find your true calling...?"

An amused grin on his face, he shrugged. "Probably both. I'll figure it out." He paused, an uncertain look crossing his features. "What's your opinion on...this?"

"What do you mean?" She asked as she fiddled with her hair.

"Well, I know Bruce and Gordon definitely don't approve of what I'm doing," Jason answered carefully. "So like, will you be mad if I keep doing my thing? And be honest, because I really do value your opinions. Sometimes."

Deciding to ignore the last part, Venus pursed her lips and shook her head. "Please, you know I'm on your side pretty much always, despite my better judgment. But, crime has been at an all time low these past few weeks, so I'd say to keep it up. The statistics don't lie, and I know you have yourself a bunch of supporters here."

Jason beamed, as if her approval has lifted a giant weight off his shoulders. He swerved suddenly into the farthest left lane, causing the truck behind them to honk loudly. They both cursed, and with a quick glance at the other, they burst out laughing.

Venus smacked his arm lightly. "Would it kill you to use your blinkers?"

"Where are the blinkers again?" He grinned cheekily, his gaze still on her.

"Eyes on the road, Jason!" She shouted, her own grin widening. Her laugh was a foreign sound, and she realized she couldn't remember the last time she has genuinely enjoyed herself.