Chapter 10: Finally Free (Edited)

(Zach's POV)

Alex clapped his drumsticks, counting us in before we start playing the song.

"Marching on proud, turn it up loud, 'cause now we know what we're worth," Julie sang before Luke suddenly teleported back in the studio, landing on the chair in front of Julie.

"Woah, Julie," Luke gasps as he quickly stood up when he saw her.

"Grab your guitar, we got work to do," Julie instructs. Luke smiles before going over to grab his guitar.

"What made you come back?" Luke asks.

"I realize how important music is to all of us," Julie explains. "We've lost so much already, we can't lose this too."

"Thank you," Luke replies before his lips turn into a smile. "Alright, boss. Where we at?"

"Oh, by the way. Happy birthday." Luke looks at Julie with shock and he glanced at the three of us before a small smile has been plastered on his face. "Let's go from the pre-chorus," Julie instructs.

"One, two, three, four..."

***

After we finished rehearsing, the guys went to check out the venue while Julie was in the house. I told the guys that I wanted to stay behind, so I did. Now I'm sitting on the couch with Luke's guitar, still working on the song.

I wrote down some new lyrics in the song, next to a few scribbles on the page. I strum a random melody for the bridge and wrote it down, then I examine the song and start singing.

Hitting every red light
Kissing at the stop signs, darling
Green Day's on the radio
And everything is alright
Now we're turning up the headlights, darling
We're just taking it slow

So we're taking the long way home
'Cause I don't wanna be wasting my time alone
I wanna get lost and drive forever with you
Talking about nothing, yeah whatever, baby
So we're taking the long way home

Hitting every red light
Kissing at the stop signs, darling
Green Day's on the radio
And everything is alright
Now we're turning up the headlights, darling
We're just taking it slow

"That's an awesome song," I jumped at Alex's voice.

"Goodness gracious, Lex! Warn a person!" I snap at him.

"Sorry, I'll try again. I'm standing in the doorway," Alex said. I sighed, putting Luke's guitar down. Alex walks over and sits next to me.

"So..." Alex starts, "are we gonna talk about what just happened before me and Julie walked in?" I let out a heavy sigh and sat up straight.

"Me and Reggie... may or may not have almost kissed," I tell him as I'm rubbing the nape of my neck. Alex's eyes widen with shock.

"What?"

"Yeah, I know," I replied. "I mean, the two of us were just talking, and he played me one of his country songs, then he leaned in, and I did too. Honestly, I don't know if he was trying to kiss me or what." I stopped ranting and took a deep breath.

"Wow," was Alex responded.

"Dude, I think I have a crush," I admitted. "I mean, I-I didn't mean to, it just happened on its own. We were very close friends at first, but... now I just can't stop thinking about the goofball."

"I knew it," Alex says and I looked at him confused.

"What?" I ask him, dumbfounded.

"You and Reggie aren't really as slick as you think you are, I've noticed you guys have been a little close ever since we died," Alex tells me and I thought to myself, was it really that obvious?