Chapter 13: Long Way Home (Edited)

(Zach's POV)

I teleported in front of the gateway of a cemetery. I took a deep breath before walking under the metal sign. Only a few people were in the graveyard, visiting their relatives or something.

I walk around the graveyard to look for one specific grave. When I found it, I slowly walk over to it and stand in front of the tombstone.

In Loving Memory
Of
Nathaniel James Fletcher

Born 27th March 1952
Died 16th August 1993

Loving Husband of
Lydia

Loving Father of
Zach

"Hi, Dad," I greeted softly, before sitting down on the ground.

"How've you been? It's been a long time since the last time I visited, huh?" I let out a quiet chuckle. "I'm doing great right now, the guys are great too. Well, minus Bobby, 'cause we ate some bad hotdogs and now we're all ghosts."

"Too morbid?"

I cleared my throat before continuing, "We met this girl named Julie, who brought us back as ghosts. She's an amazing singer and musician, and she can even make us visible when we play music with her."

"Oh! I forgot to mention that we're in a new band together, we're called Julie and The Phantoms," I added, followed by awkward silence filling the air. I start fiddling with the bracelet on my wrist.

I guess now's a good time to tell him.

"Dad, I like someone," I start anxiously. "I mean, in a romantic way. I don't know if you can hear me, but no matter what I say, you'll still support and love me for who I am, right?"

Why is this so hard? He's my dad and I can tell him anything.

"Dad, I like a boy," I spoke up, relaxing immediately. "His name's Reggie if you're wondering."

"I mean, how can I not like him? He's so dorky and loveable. He has these big blue eyes and a great smile. He's literally a golden retriever in a human form," I say dreamily.

I look back at the tombstone, I put my hand over the black font and sighed. "You would've loved him, Dad. I don't know if I'm ever gonna tell that dork that I like him," I chuckled softly before tears start to well up in my eyes, making my vision go blurry. A few of them rolled down on my face and I wiped them away with my sleeve.

"When I died, I thought I would see you again," I say, barely in a whisper. "I tried finding you, but you weren't here. You're up there, and not here. And I'll tell you what; it sucks. It sucks that you're not here with me."

"Dad, I promise that once we free ourselves from Caleb's curse and cross over, you and I see each other again. It'll be like old times," I said, my voice breaking at the end.

I decided that now is a good time for me to leave. I stood up and teleported back to the studio, which was surprisingly. I fell back on the couch and dried my tears away, then I just layed there and stared off into space.

Right when our lives start to become great again, it had to be ruined by us screwing up. If we hadn't ditched Julie at the dance and had gone to that club, we wouldn't be in this situation.

It's my fault. I was supposed to be the one to protect the guys, yet I let my anger get the best of me. Now we're screwed, because of me.

Julie's gonna be heartbroken once she sees that we're leaving. She already went through so much pain, and now we're gonna be causing even more pain to her. I screwed up big time now.