28. Strength

-Jack-

-Jack-

I had to leave. I had to run as fast as I could and never look back. No... I needed to die. I had no place in this world, and the shadows... The shadows...! I could feel them waking up. Their time had come. They'd spread now from the new cracks in my soul.

I begged my body to move. I pleaded for my legs to pick me up from the floor and start moving. I had to leave. This was not my home. It would never be my home. It was just a dream. A fantastic dream I could never have.

No one would ever want me here. No one would welcome someone like me with open arms.

No one would ever love me.

I stood up, gasping for air and trying to wipe the tears away so I could see, but I was weak. I was so incredibly weak. And the pain in my heart, in my soul...

I had to leave. I had to die.

I turned around and was immediately grabbed by a strong hand.

"Stay strong," he said. The nameless god.

His features were ageless, but I immediately realized I had met him before. He'd been there when Arch's parents told me to leave at the Great Hall.

I just stared at him. How could I stay strong when I had nothing left to even live for?

"Kill me," I whispered. "I can't..."

"Yes, you can," he said in a weird voice. He stared at me with something even odder in his yellow eyes. "You will stay strong," he added in a whisper.

He, too, was on the verge of tears.

"I can't," I said again, shivering in my pain, exhaustion, and fear. "I want to die. They're getting out."

"I am not losing you, Jack," he said. "Stay strong just a little while longer, okay? For me?"

I shook my head. "It's too late..."

"It's not. Just a few more seconds. I beg you," he said, now holding me by both of my shoulders. "You are stronger than this."

"I can't do it. Let me die. I'll infect them all."

"No, you won't. They want you to think that way. You don't understand how important it is for them that you let the shadows take you," he spoke. "But you will stop it."

The pain grew worse, so did the infestation. I started to believe I was going to die anyway. The pain in my soul was too much.

"I promise, just wait," he said. "Just a couple of seconds."

"It won't stop..."

"Two seconds," he whispered. "One second."

He disappeared when the door behind him flew open, and Arch stood there with a panicky look in his eyes.