31. Artifacts

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

"What... What do you mean? He lost his voice?" I spoke in fear, staring at Jaden, who was still trying to say something.

His eyes were scared when he looked at me...

"The gift was..." Fenrir began, but trailed off, clearly horrified by this turn. "It was in his voice, and the shadow took it... Ripped it off..."

"Allow me?"

I looked up at Ben, who kneeled next to Jaden with a harsh expression on his face. He placed his hand on Jaden's shoulder as we watched. Part of me wanted to push the peacekeeper away, but he was one of the good guys, right?

But he shot Jaden.

"His vocal cords are fine, but... dead."

"How can vocal cords be dead?" Aurora asked with a slightly panicky voice. "We're werewolves! We can heal immediately!"

"It's not about healing abilities," Ben sighed and stood up. "These artifacts, these gifts, are dangerous magic. This artifact took his voice when it got ripped off."

"What can we do?" I asked him, but Ben shook his head.

"We need that artifact back," he replied.

Jaden tapped my arm again and shook his head when I looked at him. He was... surprisingly calm now.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

He waved his hand angrily and stood up.

"Jaden wants us to get to safety," I informed the rest.

"We're not in immediate danger now," Ben said, but Jaden tried to say something, then got angry because he couldn't say what he wanted, and then just pointed at the peacekeeper in an angry manner.

"You don't get to decide that," I told Ben. "We need to go to Rayleigh."

I glanced at the rest of our group. Arch was making sure Jack was all right while Alastair was helping Ryder, who was pale, shaken, and weak. His spirits were damaged, but already healing now that he was free. Alastair asked him how long Cameron had been possessing him, and his reply, several days, froze my soul. The enemy had been right here among us, and I hadn't noticed it.

I turned to look at Cedric. He stood in silence close by, looking calm and composed, but I could feel his pain, fear, and anger.

"Cedric?" I murmured when everyone else started moving, but he didn't follow.

'I... I need a moment...' he muttered and vanished.

Cedric had called Cameron a good man... I could tell my guardian was deeply shaken. Shaken and confused. What on earth had they done to Cameron to turn him into a shadow? It was wrong, and now I understood even better why Fenrir didn't want me to kill the shadow. They needed to be helped, not destroyed.