Birthday

I turn 16 today. My sweet 16. Its supposed to be special. Mom had planned a party with all my friends and it was the the Friday so no school for the weekend too. Mom was trying her best to make this day special. Scott was doing everything too, from making my favorite breakfast that I could smell, standing in my room to bringing my friends over.

I love them so much for doing all this for me but I also know that they are trying to make up for the fact that Chris was not coming home this time. You see my brother was very busy. I completely understand that but he forgot it was my birthday.

Flash Back

( Chris - Mom )

"Hello" Mom speaks, putting the phone on speaker as I sit next to her eating my cereal.

"Hey ma." I hear his familiar voice.

"Hi sweetheart. Are you busy? Can we talk?"

"Yeah I have a few minutes. We can talk. All okay Ma?"

"Yeah I just wanted to know when you were coming home this week honey" She asks smiling at me cause she knew I was waiting for him to come back. I haven't seen in in eight months and this Friday is my birthday too.

"I'm not coming this week Ma. I have another month of shoot. I'll be home after that." he says and I feel my heart drop. He doesn't even remember. He's talking like there is no reason for Mom to ask that question. Mom's face falls too.

"Oh honey I thought you were coming. I mean its -" Ma starts to say but I shake my head , getting up from my chair.  'Don't say anything.' I mouth and she furrows her eyebrows.  'Don't tell him' I say again quietly and she goes back to talking to him but still wondering why I was saying that.

" No Ma. I have to work till the end of next month. I'll come home then. " he says and I just look down. Trying to control my tears.

"Oh okay honey. See you then. We miss you"

"I miss you all too Ma. Tell Scott and Y/N I said hi"

"Sure honey. Take care. Love you."

"Love you too Ma. I'll talk to you later."

As soon as Ma cuts the call an uncontrollable sob leaves my mouth.

"Aw honey come here" she pulls me into a hug.

"Why didn't you let me tell him honey?" she asks stroking my hair.

"Its okay Ma. He doesn't remember in the first place and second he's clearly busy. I don't want him to stress out and mess his schedule. I'll see him when he comes home next month. Its okay." I tell her wiping my tears.

"Honey I'm sorry he isn't here" she says tucking a few strands of hair behind my ear.

"Its fine ma" I say walking towards my room.

End  Flashback

I look at myself in the mirror one last time before going down for breakfast. I am wearing a blue lace top and a pair of white pants Ma had got me.