Two

Charlotte Bartlett

I pulled into the parking garage in my black Jeep Wrangler. It was my dream car since I was a teen and when I finally saved enough money I couldn't help but buy it as a reward after pushing through hell the past few years.

I didn't grow up spoiled. Yes, I grew up in a nice house but I worked for everything I had. Sneaking out later or slipping out after school to tend to my secret jobs.

At a young age, I learned to forge my parents' signatures. Not saying it's right to do, but I had no other choice. They were never around so it wasn't that much a problem unless they had to be there in person.

It taught me to appreciate everything life has to offer and hard work. Fortunately, after graduating summa cum laude, I scored myself a position at the New Yorker as a journalist. But due to a birthright, it was taken from me. I had to join my family's publishing company, not that I hated it, but not that I loved it either.

I pulled my car into its spot and slammed my door in frustration. When I walked into the building he stood was a smile on his face as usual "Good afternoon Miss Charlotte."

"Denzel" I curtsied as usual as he laughed softly. He was the kind 78-year-old doorman who was always there to greet people.

I went to the elevator stepping inside and pressing the button to level 14. Gwen Stefani had been a real one today pulling me through with Halla Back Girl blasting in my mind. After a few seconds, the doors opened to my floor and I impatiently walked down the long hall. I twisted my keys in the lock and entered to see Grace at the island table with a glass of rosé in hand.

"Hey! Welcome home!" she sang making her way to envelope me into a hug.

"Can you pour me a glass" She smiled like a proud mom and nodded, she was a bad influence at points but lovable.

"Anything for you my love! We are going to have so much fun tonight, let loose!" Letting loose did not sound like fun to me.

"The goal is to get Megan a date home."

"Oh, a bedroom date?" I teased.

"Exactly a bedroom date" Megan sighed walking into the kitchen and I raised a brow, "What it's been a month okay, not all of us are happy like you in a relationship Grace."

"I was" I mumbled drawing their eyes to me.

"Charlie he was a bad guy and" Grace sighed looking in between us "I'm in a relationship no more, Luke and I did not work out" Our eyes both shot Grace

"What! When, what happened? Are you okay?" I made my way to her taking her hand and giving it a light squeeze.

"He walked in with a Mohawk and I walked out" We were all silent for a moment and then burst into laughter.

"You have to be less judgmental!" Megan scolded her, "But I'd probably do the same."

"You guys are such haters! I think Mohawks can be cool at points."

"That's because you're blind" Megan poked my side, I frowned and Grace put her hands on my shoulders to ease the tension.

"Let's get shit-faced and have a good time okay, no past boys... only future lovers!"  She spins me slightly to try and get a rise out of me, but I remain a grump.

"Now let's get ready because it's going to take Grace three hours" I giggled in agreement stepping away as Grace looked flustered at us.

"Oh shut it, I always look fabulous may I remind you" She walked off to her room slamming the door for dramatic effect.