Chapter 14

After somber and long hours later, the army all reaches the Black Gate. No enemies await us.

"Where are they?", Pippin asks.

"Concealed behind the Gate.", I answer.

Aragon rides Brego closer to Eomer; Mithrandir, Legolas, and I with them.

"It will be okay." I whisper to Thalion, "We will survive this."

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!" Aragorn yells without fear, "Let justice be done upon him!"

On command, the heavy iron gate creaks open. A lone rider comes out with a gruesome looking horse. When he comes to meet us, I notice he wears a helmet that covers his eyes and face. Only a pale mouth, with black teeth and red ouze is visible. He must be the Mouth of Sauron.

"My master, Sauron the Great, bids you welcome." it says mockingly, "Is there any in this rout with the authority to treat me?"

"We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed." Gandalf says firmly, "Tell your master this; the armies of Mordor must disband! He is to depart these lands, never to return."

"Old Greybeard." the Mouth of Sauron hisses, "I have a token I was bidden to show thee."

He holds up a silver-white glittering mail shirt, made of Mithril.

"Frodo.", Pippin realizes.

The Mouth of Sauron tosses it to Mithrandir who catches it.

"Silence.", Gandalf warns.

"No!", Merry cries in disbelief.

"Silence!", Gandalf repeats louder.

"The halfling was dear to thee, I see." it says slowly, enjoying the tension, "Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain? And he did Gandalf, he did."

As he flashes a wicked smile, Aragorn rides up to him.

"And who is this?" it challenges Aragorn, "Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken Elvish blade."

Before I can say anything back, Aragorn cuts off his head in one hard slice.

"Guess that concludes negotiations.", Gimli mutters.

"I do not believe it." Aragorn says fiercely, "I will not."

"Quel." I reply, "We cannot believe anything that thing has said."
(Good)

The Black Gate opens up, more intimating. When the Eye on top of Sauron's tower Barad-dûr is fixed on Aragorn, an army of orcs pour out.

"Pull back!" he orders the small group, "Pull back!"

No one hesitates in retreating. We gallop back to the army of men. Aragorn rides up and down the line, rallying the men.

"Son's of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day."

He stops cantering and continues, lighting a fire within all who listens.

"An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

As Aragorn finishes his legendary speech, he raises up Andùril. Soldiers draw out their swords and everyone follows. His voice is so raw and filled with determination. His words fill me with strength I never knew I had. Looking around, the faces of the men carry startling courage and deadly expressions. The small company follows Aragorn's lead and dismounts.