𝑫𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒏𝒆𝒅

My eyes spring open as air enters my lungs. Water forces its way out my mouth and I spin off my back and on my side. My throat burns with each breath. I feel Nina steadying my heart rate. I look up and see Matthias pushing Kaz's chest. My heart stops.

My legs work before my brain and I kneel next to his face. Water droplets cling to his skin, making it shimmer in the morning sun. My hands push the raven hair from his eyes as Matthias stops chest compressions.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"He's gone, Emris." Nina puts a hand on my shoulder.

"No, he's not. He's right here, see." Tears cloud my vision and I intertwine my fingers. I begin  compressions. Grunting with effort. "Come on Kaz. Damn you, come on." I scream. Nina pulls me back and I scramble for his lifeless body.

"He's gone and he's not coming back," Nina yells.

The world seems to freeze. Kaz lays cold beneath my fingers. My breathing becomes ragged and heaving as my body racks with sobs. My throat contracts with a painful scream. The screech vibrates through my chest.  I release all the anger and pain as I scramble towards him.

I feel a pull of cold hands grab my arms and pull me back. I whip my head around and see Matthias holding me back. I thrash in his grasp and don't miss Nina moving to kneel next to Kaz.

It is as though some instinct has taken over. I clench my jaw and throw my head back. I hear the satisfying crunch of a nose and the hands-on my arms barely waver. I thrust myself to my feet and throw myself down again. His arms finally break their grip and I roll.

I roll next to his body. I vault on the opposite side of him and crouch low to the ground. My leg is protectively draped over his body. I grab one of the small knives at my thigh and hold it defensively.

I feel Nina's hand on my shoulder. Slowly my bodr relazes. I turn my face to Kaz's body. My body goes limp, and I crush my face in his neck. I place my hands beneath his head and tangle my hands in his hair. I cradle his head and stroke his raven hair.

"He's not coming back." I force myself to look at him.

"He's right here." I caress his face and fear grabs my chest with an unforgiving grip. "Please," I beg, my voice hardly a whisper.

"I'm sorry," Nina says.

"Please." I beg, "please, please, don't leave me here. Don't go, I'll stay, I'll steal and kill and do whatever you want. Just don't go."

I grab his cold hand and rub circles over the back of it.  The limp limb feels like a million pounds in my hand. It takes a moment for me to register the light squeeze of my hand.

Kaz's chest rises and falls in a steady rhythm. I gasp and bolt upright. I see Kaz trying to sit up. I forget Nina, forget Matthias, forget this stupid heist and just hold him. His body racks with tremors as I wrap my arms around his neck as he sits up. Despite his fears, he wraps his arms around my waist and burrows his face in my hair.

My chest loosens and my muscles don't dare to relax. I hold myself to him like a lifeline. His hands are a comfort at my back and head. My face becomes wet as I feel his lips move against my skin. He whispers something and I gently sob once more before detangling my fingers from his hair. I lean back and look at him.

"Don't you ever do that again?" I say, slapping his chest. Another sob racks my body.

"Why are you crying?" He asks.

"You we're dead, Kaz. Your heart stopped and you weren't breathing." I sniff and wipe the tears from my face as I realize I'm touching him too much. "Sorry." I stand back and rake my fingers through my hair.