Plan

Everyone dispersed and I lead Kaz into the hallway. I grin up at him as he glowers at the wall behind me.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He answers bleakly.

"You're always fine, Kaz. But are you okay?"

"It was a small fight."

"Stop changing the subject, Kaz." I nudge his shoulder lightly. "Answer the damn question."

"Yes, I'm okay." He says with a soft smile. 

His eyes trail over me like an animal. I smile and watch him stare at my eyes, my lips, my curves. I smile and grab his hand. I take my free hand and stand on my tiptoes to reach his brow. I gently dab the blood away and I look down to find Kaz staring at me.

"I don't get scared with you." He says softly.

"Scared of what?"

"Skin." He says and I sigh. "You're so warm and full of life. I'm not scared anymore." I look up at him and I watch his lips greedily.

"Are you okay if I-"

He grabs my face in his hands and gently brushes his lips against mine. I smile as his fingers trace circles over my cheeks. And he does it again, his lips barely brush mine, the light touch sending sparks of electricity through my blood. We hear the door unlatch and Kaz steps away.

"You kids, okay?" Colm Fahey asks, leaning out the doorway.

"Yes, Mr. Fahey. We're quite alright." I can't help but laugh as he shuts the door and awkwardly steps back inside.

"How are going to do this?" I ask, placing my head in my hands. Kaz gently wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Together." He says, steering us back inside the room.

We separate and Kaz sends Wylan to fetch everyone. I perch on the windowsill. I stare at the city below and grimace as I remember our little parade. We're being hunted. Perfect. Everyone slowly trickles in and Inej perches beside me and I notice Wylan's sour expression as Jesper and Kuwei trail in behind him. Soon Nina and Matthias join us as well and we have the whole gang.

"Alright, when you say auction, you don't actually mean. . ." Nina begins.

"Kuwei is going to sell himself," Kaz confirms.

"Are you mad?" Nina accuses.

"Any Kerch citizen and any free citizen who travels to Kerch has the right to sell his own indenture. It isn't just the law, it's trade, and there's nothing more holy in Kerch. Kuwei Yul-Bo has the sacred right—as sanctioned by Ghezen, God of industry and commerce—to submit his life to the will of the market. He can offer his service at auction." Kaz says.

"You want him to sell himself to the highest bidder?" Inej asks, appalled.

"To our highest bidder. We're going to fix the outcome, so Kuwei gets his fondest wish—a life sipping tea from a samovar in Ravka."

"My father will never allow it," says Wylan.

"Van Eck will be powerless to stop it. The auction of an indenture is protected by the highest laws in the city—secular and religious. Once Kuwei declares his contract open, no one can stop the auction until bidding has closed."

Nina shakes her head. "If we announce an auction, the Shu will know exactly when and where to find him."

"This is not Ravka," says Kaz. "This is Kerch. Trade is sacred and protected by law. The Merchant Council are duty-bound to make sure an auction proceeds without interference. The stadwatch will be out in force, and the auction statutes demand that the Council of Tides provide their assistance too. The Merchant Council, the stadwatch, the Tides—all required to protect Kuwei."