Nerves

Kaz POV

My hands shake with anger as my mind races. The others all sit in silence as we think. My mind comes up with millions of plans, all of them ending in someone inevitably dying. Emris would tell me to do what was best for the team. I once told myself I couldn't do this without her, and I mean that more than ever now. Even though she would be no help planning she could always make me smile. Whether it be her insults, her jokes, or just her seemingly intoxicating presence. The way her eyes shine the deepest blue or her hair shines like the sun. Or the way her freckles bunch together when she scrunches her nose. The way she always twirls the necklace I got her.

My eyes begin to burn, and an idea comes. A trade. VanEks got a wife. Alys I think. I stand and find a piece of paper and list the steps. VanEk wouldn't leave Alys at his main home with us on the loose. We could find a list of houses he owns or has recently rented. He would keep her someplace calm and quiet. A lake, the ocean perhaps.

1. break into Vanek's office to find houses Alys might be staying at.

2. Kidnap Alys

3. Threaten VanEk for Emris

4. Get Emris back.

My handwriting is scrawled madly across the page. The graveyard is extra small now. The space closes in as my mind races at possible negative outcomes. We all die. Well, this is the best one yet.

Emris POV

My tailbone aches as I lean against the wall. Panic squeezes my chest, digging its claws into my lungs. My waist burns with memories. Quiet sobs rack my body as I break. I slump against the wall, tired and afraid. Yes, I admit it, I'm scared. I'm scared I won't see him again. I'm scared I'm going to stay bound here forever.

"Good morning, sunshine." Adem pulls the bag off my head and sits.

"I'm not in the mood." I sit at the table and push the plate of food away, hunger long leaving my body.

"You haven't eaten in almost a week. You'll starve yourself."

"At least I won't have to listen to you."

"You'll you like me to force a tube down your throat." He says. "Then maybe you'll be able to listen to all my stories."

"More like torture technique."

"Well, Mr.Van Ek wants to try a new tactic today. It will make you want to listen to me again."

"Doubt it."

"We'll come on then." He stands and crosses over to the door. I stand and silently follow him. "Bag back on." He places the sack over my head again and takes my arm.

"This is a really bad trust exercise."

"It's not meant for trust. It's meant for an answer."

"To what?"

"Where are your friend's safe houses."

"I've already told you the Slat and the Crow club."

"There's more, at least that's what Mr.VanEk thinks."

"Okay." I scoff.

He leads me through the maze of hallways. I don't bother to try to remember anything as I know Adem will be leading me astray. Soon we reach our room and I am instructed to lay down. I obey and the bag is ripped from my head as my hands are bound to a table.

"What kind of torture chamber is this, VanEk?" I ask a figure in the dark.

"We need answers. Your band of heathens has kidnapped my wife. And you are going to tell me places they would take her." He slams his hand down on the table and signals to a guard who carries my gold knives.

"My knives," I yell.

"Where are your friends taking, Alys?"

"As I've said before I'm trapped here. I can't know where they will take her." I sigh. "Perhaps if you let me go I could convince them to return her safely."

"No you will tell me or I will bring you pain with your own weapons."

"Bring it on, VanEk. Nothing hurts anymore."

"Everyone has a nervous system, dear."

VanEk signals to his masked guard and the man places the blade on my arm. As VanEks command the man drags the blade from my shoulder across my collarbone. He stops at my neck and I feel the blood begin to ooze. It is a small pain, easily bearable and suppressed with a small grimace.

"Not enough?" VanEk leans over the counter. "How about I smash your legs. Or maybe physical pain is not in your bargaining vocabulary."

He signals out a man with tired eyes and looks like a skeleton draped in skin. I sigh and turn my head as the man lifts my shirt and drags his hands across the tailored scars. Not long after the accident, I had most of my harder-to-hide scars erased by an expert hand. Now VanEk plans to bring them back.

"It was a fashion choice VanEk. You really think this will make me give you information."

"No, but I think it's a start. Plus, it's nice to see you squirm."

The man drags his fingers up my throat and over my eye. A scar long since healed. With a wave of his hand, a prickling sensation travels over me. An intense urge to itch causes me to squirm a little.

"Ah what a monster you have become, Ms. Blade."

He holds a mirror to my face and I shrink back in disgust as I see the scars trailing over my face. From my ear and along my jaw is a long and deep cut. A tear slips down my cheek and I shake with rage. My scars were one of the many things I wished to keep hidden. Now they trail over me like marks on a map.

AN

Sorry, it took longer to post this one. We have homecoming activities and I am exhausted. 😂 As always don't forget to vote and comment.