𝑯𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝑯𝒐𝒎𝒆

Soon the Ketterdam shore comes into view. Wylan has opted for staying below deck and on the boat for the whole trip. He wanted to stay and take care of a now I'll Nina. We row pit on the longboat. Kaz and I sit opposite each other. Even though we practically poured our hearts out it has been nothing but me swapping shifts with Rotty and caring for Nina. It was a good distraction but now on the longboat with the water almost coming in the boat I begin to fear again. Jesper, Kaz, Matthias, Kuwei, and I all sit as still a possibility. Matthias grunts as he rows the boat. I offered to help but he insisted I didn't know-how.

"We're here, Helvar," Kaz says as he exits the boat.

"I know." Matthias grunts.

I have been reunited with my knives at last. We sent a messenger to Vanek telling him to meet us at a small nearby island called Vallegulk. I took the time to slip back home and grab my long-missed training suit and my knives. I smile as I pay each one as we cross the shore to see Jan Vanek with a few guards and a large chest.

"Vanek, I see you brought friends."

"Yes well, please don't be offended if I don't completely trust you, Mr.Brekker."

"Is it all there."

"Thirty million kruge, as promised." Jan Vanek sends the guards to carry over a large bucket. Kaz kneels and begins shuddering to the bottom. "I assure you it's all there."

"Can never be too careful. Now here is Kuwei YulBo as promised." Kaz nudges the shu boy over to Vanek.

"Are you sure he can re-create his father's Jurda Parem drug?"

"Yes, he can," Kaz confirms.

"I'm sorry, Mr.Brekker, I can not let you or your friends off this island." With a wave of his hand, Grisha squallers on Parem fly above us in the air. Grisha tidemakers is n Parem position themselves at VanEks side.

"I thought you might say that."

"Take out their ship, leave no survivors," Vanek calls out.

"Wait, Vanek, your sons on that ship."

"Hold. Wylans on that ship?"

"Yes."

"He is not my son. I disowned that stupid boy. He can not read, did you know that? No matter how many tutors I bought, how many schools I sent him to, the stupid boy would not read."

Vanek regains his composure and signals for the Tidemakers to crush the boat. "No." Inej and I cry as the ship is crushed to pieces.

"What so sorry sobs for your lost crew Brekker." Vanek laughs. "At least a few members of your crew still have some form of a heart."

"A friend once told me my heart was black, and it is. Hardened with the brutality of the barrel. You don't seem much better than I."

"Pay up, Kaz." I gape at Kuwei who has spoken perfect Kerch.

"The boy speaks Kerch?" Vanek questions.

"No you see Wylan and I had a bet. He said you would not hesitate to kill him. And sadly I still thought a father could not be so brutal as to kill his only heir and son."

" where is Kuwei YulBo?" Van El demands.

"That's for you to find out after you give us our money," Kaz says with a smirk.

"Fine kill them all, brink me Brekker."

I look at Kaz and I see his eyes already on me. I stare into his coffee eyes and my fear begins to melt away. His eyes will be the last thing I remember before I go. And I'm alright with that.

"Leave them to bring me the girl."

Kaz acts before I do. I feel his fingers graze me before I am caught by my middle and whisked from the ground. I thrash my body and grab for my dagger. I secure the golden handle and drive the blade deep into the Squallers back. I kick him away as I barrel to the ground. I hit the sand hard and my vision goes foggy as I move to stand again. I see Kaz running for me his gait even worse in the sand. My arms are pinned to my side and I watch as Kaz gets smaller and smaller. I try to free my arms and kick the squaller at my back. I manage a good head bit and I begin falling. I hear a distant yell as the wind rushes in my ears. My guts move inside me as I twist my body to look at the rolling clouds. The last thing I see is the clouds as my head hits the sand and I am lifted off the ground and back into the sky. I hate flying.

AN
THANK YOU SO MUCH. OH MY GOSH, THIS IS AMAZING. I FINALLY FINISHED!!!! I'm going to work on another book based on the second book in six of crows with this same character and relationship. Make sure to comment and vote please if you liked it. 😊