Auction

My palms sweat as we step onto the stage. Matthias leads our group of four. I walk between the crowd and Kuwei and Kaz walk behind us. We take our place near the podium, where the auctioneer, Radmakker, will stand. Radmakker waits until there is absolute silence, only then does he begin to list the rules of the auction. Following that, he states Kuwei's preferred indenture. I step aside as a medic walks up to us. He gives Kuwei a once-over before turning to Radmakker.

"Please make your declaration," Radmakker announces.

"The boy's health is sound." the medic steps off the stage.

"Do you fully consent to abide by the rules of this auction and its outcome?" Kuwei squeaks a response. "Speak up, boy."

"I do."

"Then let us proceed." Radmakker lifts his gavel. "Kuwei Yul-Bo freely gives his consent to these proceedings and hereby offers his service for a fair price as guided by Ghezen's hand. All bids will be made in kruge. Bidders are instructed to keep silent when not making offers. Any interference in this auction, any bid made in less than good faith will be punished to the fullest extent of Kerch law. The bidding will start at one million kruge." He pauses for dramatic effect. "In Ghezens name, tet the auction commences." His gavel strikes the podium and all hell breaks loose.

The price climbed in rapid time. Radmakker speaks in gibberish as numbers are called out. Radmakker Jabbed his gavel at each bidder. The fyerdans and Shu counter back and forth while Ravka sits silently and observes, as well as the Kalesh.

The rhythm of the action switches in an instant. The price climbs slower, hovering just over sixty million kruge. The Shu grow it's and knock the price up ten, bringing the price to seventy million. Just like you said, Kaz.

"Eighty million Kruge," Nickoli calls.

"Ninety million!" The Shu call.

I feel the anxiety roll off Kuwei in waves. He stands in front of me. I gently poke him and his head turns to look at me. I give him a small smile. He nods and his shoulders rise and fall slowly. I understand his worth, the numbers have risen too high, too fast.

"Ninety-one million." Nickoli tries to slow the pace but the Shu have none of the games.

The Shu ambassador steps forward and roars. "One hundred and ten million."

"One hundred and ten million Kruge by the shu delegation!" Radmakker yells his calm face a stone. "Do I hear another offer?" The church of barter falls silent.

"One hundred twenty million Kruge." Nickoli laughs.

As Nickoli's voice falls into echoes the doors of the church burst open. Startled cries fill the church as a thick fog rolls in the church. I feel a firm hand on my shoulder, pulling me back. I press my Bach against Kaz's chest as I watch the events before me unfold.

Fifteen cloaked figures seem to float into the room. The figure's faces are obscured by the mist and thick hoods.

"We are the council of tides." A female voice says. "This auction is a sham."

"This auction is sanctioned by law." The Shu yell through the mist. "You have no right to stop these proceedings."

A large wave crashes through the doors of the church. The wave arcs over the shus head and stays still as stone. I see the insides swirling with the dies as the outline stays still.

"Silence." Demands the woman. "We have received word that these proceedings have been compromised." I shrink back into Kaz's touch, knowing we have been caught.

"The rules of the auction are clear." The tidemaker continues. "Neither the indenture nor his representatives are permitted to interfere with the auction's outcome. The market must decide."