Planning

"Inej will walk a tightrope from silo to silo and dump in the weevil. We will be gone before anybody even knows we were there." Kaz explains as the group crowds around the table.

"This seems too simple," I say. "What about the Squallers controlling the temperatures, they will most likely try to stop us."

"I guess we'll work out the kinks when we get there."

"You've already worked out the kinks, Kaz."

"Yes, I have. You will just wait to find out." Kaz raises his chin and glowers at all of us. "Tonight Van Eck will have a nice dinner and rest his mercher head on his soft pillows while we take his freedom and his money all in one night. Those sad watch grunts will rest their weary heads until the next shift, wondering if they will get a little overtime. Not us, the clock is ticking. We can rest when we're rich, agreed?"

A chorus of nods and grunted yess emerge from the group.

"Nina there will be guards who walk the perimeter of the silos. You will pose as a distraction, a distressed Ravkan looking for work. Keep them busy long enough for Inej to scale the first silo. Then-"

"One condition," Nina demands.

"This isn't up for debate, Zennik."

"Everything is a debate with you. I'm sure you bartered your way out of the womb." I nod in agreement. Makes sense. "If I'm doing this I want the rest of the Grisha out of the city."

"Forget it. This isn't a charity for refugees."

"Then I'm out."

"Fine your out. You will still get your share for the ice court job but we don't need you on this job."

"But you need me," Inej states quietly.

"It seems everyone is forming alliances." Kaz plops down on the chair beside me and stretches his bad leg out.

"Their called friendships, Kaz," I say with a grin. "I'm with you, Nina." I stand and link my arms with Nina and Inej.

"I don't like being held hostage." Kaz seethes.

"Me either." Empathy crosses his dark eyes. I remember how they glinted almost gold not long ago.

"Think of it as a challenge for your monstrous brain." Nina challenges.

"How many people are we talking about?"

"Less than thirty that I know of," Nina says.

"And how would you like to gather them? Hand out pamphlets?" Kaz says, biting his cheek.

"There's a tavern near the Ravkan embassy. The Grisha in Ketterdam use it to warn each other or leave massages. I can get word from there. I just need a ship. Van Eck can't watch all the harbors."

I sit back down and Kaz gives me a pointed look. I only smile which seems to make him more annoyed.

"I think he can." Inej interjects. "Van Eck has the support of the city government."

"Van Eck won't have made the choice to involve the city lightly. It's a risk, and he wouldn't take that risk if he didn't intend to capitalize on it to the fullest. He'll have every harbor and watchtower on the coast on full alert, with orders to question anyone trying to leave Ketterdam. He'll just claim that he knows Wylan's captors may plan to take him from Kerch." Kaz states.

"Gathering the Grisha could be dangerous," Matthias says. "We can't risk them falling into Van Eck's hands, especially if he still has some Parem.

"We need a miracle. And perhaps a bottle of whiskey. Helps lubricate the brain." Jesper grins.