Settle

KAZ POV

My leg aches as Anike updates me. Anika gives her report on the earnings at the Crow Club and the status of tourist traffic on East Stave. In the three weeks since Kuwei's auction and the plague panic, I had taken over Per Haskell's office on the ground floor of the Slat. I still slept on the top floor, but it was easier to do business from Haskell's lair. I don't miss the extra trips up and down the stairs, and my old office feels empty now. Whenever I sat down to try to get some work done, I find his eyes straying to the window ledge.

The city still hadn't returned to normal, but that had created some interesting opportunities. Prices on the Staves had dropped as people prepared for a long plague outbreak, and I was quick to take advantage. I bought the building next to the Crow Club so that we could expand, and I even managed to acquire a small property on the Lid. I talked Emris into selling me the Granjetier and she happily obliged, her new home in Wylans Mansion. He offered me a room but I refused. When the panic was over and tourism resumed, I am looking forward to fleecing a far higher class of pigeon. I have also bought out Per Haskell's shares in the Crow Club for a reasonable price. I could have had them for nothing, given the trouble in the Barrel, but I didn't want anyone feeling too sorry for the old man.

When Pekka Rollins returned to the city, I would find a way to cut him out of the business. The last thing I wanted was for the proceeds of his hard work to go into Rollins' coffers.

Once Anika finished her recital, Pim gave the details he'd gathered on Van Eck's trial. The mysterious Johannus Rietveld had not been found, but once Van Eck's accounts had been laid bare, it had quickly become clear he'd been using the information he'd learned on the Merchant Council to buy up jurda farms. Beyond swindling his friends, tampering with an auction, and kidnapping his own son, there were even suggestions that he'd hired a team to break into a Fjerdan government building and possibly sabotage his own sugar silos. Van Eck was not out on bail. In fact, it didn't look like he'd be out of jail anytime soon. Though his son had provided a small fund for his legal representation, it could be described as moderate at best.

Wylan had chosen to use a portion of his newfound wealth to restore his home. He'd given Jesper a small allowance to speculate in the markets, and he'd brought his mother home as well. People in the Geldstraat were shocked to see Marya Hendriks sitting in the park with her son or being rowed down the canal by one of their servants. Sometimes they could be glimpsed from the water, standing before their easels in the Van Eck garden.

Alys had stayed with them for a time, but eventually, she and her terrier had chosen to escape the city and its gossip. She would finish her confinement in the Hendriks lake house and was said to be making dubious progress in her singing lessons. Kaz was just glad he didn't live next door.

Emris had taken to humming her songs in the garden of Wylans estate. She seemed to be keeping her money for safekeeping while she planned in the middle of the night. Nothing interesting to report on Emris. Although I find myself longing to talk to her. I wait for her to come to me though, I can't look desperate.

"Good work," I say as Pim finishes his report. I had no clue the boy had such a talent for gathering information.

"Roeder put together the report," Pim said. "Think he's gunning for a place as your new spider."

"I don't need a new spider," said Kaz.

Pim shrugged. "Wraith's been scarce. People talk."

"She has her own plans."

"What about Emris? She used to be your main source, now she has no formation for sale."

"I'm sure she has plenty. Just not her line of work anymore."

I dismiss them and sit for a long moment alone. In the three weeks since the auction, I haven't gotten much sleep. My eyes are dark and hollow, my body aching with exhaustion. I can't allow myself to sleep. I fear that it will slip away in the night's cruel hour. Pekka Rollins businesses were on the brink of collapse, the crow club is doing splendidly. VanEck is in prison. There is no safer position except it's the barrel. Brick by brick. I remind myself as a knock sounds.

One downfall of being on the main floor; people bother you a lot more.

"Letter came." Anita tosses a letter on my desk. "Looks like you're keeping fast company, Brekker." I point a look at the door and she nods. "Right."

She leaves and I hold the letter up to the light. A deep black wax seal with a silver double eagle glint from the page. I slip open the envelope and read eagerly. I burn the envelope and its contents before scribbling a note of my own.

I am well aware Emris is staying at Wylans house. She makes it known. I have also been finding scrawled notes on pages of my notebooks. They inform me of Pekka or the stadhall proceedings, and I know Emris has been leaving them. I slip on my coat and hand and hold my cane firmly. I am send a messenger but I want this note delivered by myself. I need to see her.

"I'll be back in an hour," I say as I storm from my office. "and I better not still see you podges wasting your time here."

"Hardly anyone at the club," says Pim. "Tourists are too scared of the plague."

"Go to the rooming houses where all the frightened pigeons are waiting out the panic. Show them you're in the pink of health. Make sure they know you just had a fine time playing Three Man Bramble at the Crow Club. If that doesn't work, get your asses to the harbors and drum up some pigeons from the workers on the boats."

"I just came off a shift," protests Pim.

I settle my hat on my head and run a thumb over the brim. "Didn't ask."