Chapter Six

My fingers nails dig into his back as he pounds into me. My thighs shake, and every sensation in my body is on high alert. I go to kiss him and he vanishes replaced with the devil himself. Opening my eyes is the only way to escape this and Blade is not there to hold me close to his blazing-hot body.

I charged my phone, just in time for work that was the first thing I did when I walked in, now because of my nap there is no time to text Thema or I will be late. I shower quickly and put on my scrubs.

 We get sick animals of all sorts at the Phoenix Rescue Animal Clinic. We collect animals and adopt them when pounds try to put them down because no one wants them. We find them the best homes and it makes me tear up to see how happy they end up. 

The girls today want salads and I think most of them want to juice and that is from the place next door. The restaurant is called Emerald City. It has a Wizard of Oz theme, the floors are painted like the yellow brick road and the waitresses dress like Dorothy and the good witch. There are a lot of cool things on their menu, my favorite is the 'There's no place like a home' salad with the 'ruby slippers' dressing, which is a raspberry vinaigrette.

I drove there to pick up eleven orders. All the girls that are in, texted me what they wanted. I carry everything out in one trip. Stick it in the back of the car and buckle it in. My car now reeks of vinaigrette. 

"I'm on my way," I tell Jules, my boss, she is a wonderful woman. She is probably around fifty, married, and has three kids. I know basic suburban life exists. She also has the best work ethic and environment I have ever been in. Our clinic thrives because of her. We have a very special team here.

I decided to become a receptionist at the clinic so I could help stop the putting down of perfectly fine animals. 

I get it that the streets would be full, but we try to save what we can. Our team of girls works our hardest to find them all amazing homes. Which is all they can ask for.

My ex who we don't speak about had my dog of eight years, Toby, put down when we broke up. It was a day I was at work and then came home to our apartment and there was no dog, and weeks later Ashes were at my doorstep. Well, I put up signs, and then they came to my door to deliver him. I full-on broke down and couldn't go to classes for weeks. 

I grab my keys and hurry to the other place, I just called to schedule pick-up drinks. It's a lovely friend-owned business. They have options for all the girls at the clinic. I buy the half-gallon jugs from the cafe so I don't make a mess carrying eleven drinks and putting them in my car.  

We have a total of twenty-seven dogs, thirteen cats, and countless other animals that we are working on getting adopted. I will probably have to schedule an event to boost the chances of them getting adopted soon. 

Like, Adopt a Dog, Get a Chance to win a cruise. There are at least thirteen girls I know of who could do it with us. I know Thema knows a bunch of men that could join us. She is very persuasive when it comes to getting what she wants from them. I can rent out a place to hold it and maybe make it a formal event and invite all the rich people. If they can't adopt they can donate. Tickets could be five to ten dollars. A puppy area, dog-shaped appetizers on trays. All to benefit the babies that haven't been taken home yet.

With all these thoughts swarming my head, I pull up to the clinic and park my car in my spot. 

"Jessica, I got your club salad with extra eggs and French dressing." Jessica is out potty training our newest recruit. His name is Spencer and he is a one-year-old, German Shepherd Husky mix. If all goes well, I am hoping to adopt him. I need a new friend and he is just my type. Before he was here he was abandoned and when we got him, he was mostly bone and we didn't think he would make it through the night. But this handsome baby boy is a fighter. Quite literally, he picks fights all the time with other dogs. Which is a habit we are trying to fix.