Chapter Twelve

"Oh, my baby." Mama cries as I wake up.

My head is pounding and the bed I am in is way too small to be mine. I open my eyes to darkness. The only light I see is from an alarm clock. Not my alarm clock, my heart begins beating rapidly. The room has a fresh aroma of flowers and coffee.

There is a numbing sensation where the chair leg went through, and I have a sore throat.
My mouth is incredibly dry. Just then I notice my mama staring at me. She looks at me with so much fear and then joy. She quickly gets up to say,

"Nurses, she's awake." She shouts it and I wince in pain.

I look at the room around me; the dark brown wall and pea-green decor. The machines, I am hooked up to IVs, watching someone else's blood drip into me, watching man-made chemicals fill the tubes as it goes inside of me. I can feel the bandage is a little tight. The doctor rushes in. He is tall, with dark hair and brown eyes. Wearing a wedding band and a name tag that says Charles McCain MD.

"Alicia you weren't supposed to be awake," he says in shock checking my charts. He flips through them and I look at my arm. I feel like absolute poop, so I close my eyes hoping that will relieve the tension.

My mama gives me a glass of water as she wipes her tears. I take a swallow and say,
"This is all my fault. I should have said yes." My mama and the doctor look at me confused.

"If it wasn't for that fire, it would have blown up anyway. There was a bomb there. Whoever started the fire saved you all, it's all over the news." The doctor explains as I look dumb as hell for admitting to a crime I didn't commit. Nothing was my fault, but it sure does feel like it.

"You lost a lot of blood, have a major concussion, and won't be able to use this arm for a while." I feel nauseous, he gives me a few pills. I take them and Mama starts crying some more. Tears run down her angelic face as she looks at me. 

"I thought you were going to die. Oh my gosh. A boy is waiting out there for you. Do you want me to bring him in?" She asks with a wicked grin.

"Yeah, sure." I say because it could be Blade.

She leaves and five minutes later, with two cups of coffee in her hand, Blade walks in. I still feel sickly, my head is pounding.

"I need to call the boys and tell them you are awake. You were out for two days." Mom is leaving to give us privacy. I know that now. Especially with the way she winks at me when she closes the door. When her eyebrows shoot up and down and she winks, I know she is trying to play matchmaker. 

"You saved my sister," he says, looking at me as if I am an adorable puppy. He sniffles and the corner of his mouth twitches when I grin at him.

"My body just so happened to be there trying to help her from the fire," I say probably looking like actual hot garbage. I haven't dared to look in the mirror yet.

"If that chair leg didn't go into your arm it would have been in her head. I saw the footage." I panic, there is footage of that horrible event. It's possibly all over the internet.

"Well, looks like we were both lucky." He laughs and sits down next to the bed in the doctor's spinning chair.

"You call being in a hospital bed injured luckily?" He looks at me and I look at him. For a split second, I forget all my injuries. 

"I call being alive lucky." I say honestly.

"Thema went home to rest, her brother just had a huge operation removing the rod. He is doing fine. My sister just had a few scrapes and cuts. Oh, and her ankle is fractured. But everyone survived which is amazing. My sister went home yesterday. She won't tell me much of what happened." He looks very concerned the emotions float in his eyes.