The Apprentice - Part 2 - Dwarves x Reader

"Drog! Look who has come to join us." Dava called out, as she made her way into the room. The rather ample male dwarf, turning to see who his wife was referring to.

"(Y/n)?! Can that truly be our little mortal smith? What are ya doing here child? Gunri.............."

"Yes, its (Y/n), husband. She has made her way here to see Gunri. I invited her for tea, so that we could discuss things." Dava interrupted. Glaring at her husband, as she brought (Y/n) over to the fire. Helping the young mortal off with her large, heavy coat, before bidding her to sit.

"Oh, yes. Tea.........tea is what we need. Although I think I might need something stronger fa this." Drog agreed. Muttering the second part under his breath. Hoping that his wife would do all the explaining that needed to be done. Not sure that he was the right dwarf to deal with a mortal female's emotions.

"It is so nice to see you again master Drog. And I would love tea. It has been a long journey, and I must admit that I am slightly tired. But I can't wait to see Gunri. Is the old thing well? Has he started up the old forge that he had here before you had to leave? He said that he would still need me once he was settled. He hasn't taken on another apprentice, has he? He said that I would be his last." (Y/n) explained, as she looked between the two dwarves that she knew well. Waiting for word on her master.

"All in good time, my sweet. First tea, and some honey cakes, I think. You have lost weight on your journey. You can't be expected ta swing a hammer if ya all skin and bone, child." Dava told her. Pushing her husband into the chair across from (Y/n). Giving the rotund dwarf a knowing look, before she scurried off to make to tea.

                                                 >>-----------------------------------<<

"Here, have another honey cake." Dava said, pushing yet more of the sweet treats onto (Y/n)'s plate. (Y/n) quite sure that if she took another mouthful, she might burst.

"No, no, really, I couldn't. I don't think I could eat another thing, Mistress Dava. Thank you for the tea and everything, but now I would really just like to see Master Gunri. I'm sure as soon as he sets eyes on me, he will ask what took me so long to get here, and then he'll put me right to work." (Y/n) chuckled, as she placed her over loaded plate down on the table next to her.

"Yes.........I'm sure.........but..........." Dava began, looking over a husband for support. The old dwarf choosing instead to become preoccupied with packing his pipe.

"(Y/n), my dear. We have something to tell ya. Don't we Drog?" Dava continued. Drog almost chocking on the pipe smoke, as his wife dragged him back into the conversation.

"Aye, er........somethin ta tell ya." Drog agreed. Wishing that he could just disappear.

"You see, it's about Master Gunri. Well...........he..........."

"He's dead, isn't he?" (Y/n) interrupted. Her heart sinking as Dava and Drog simply nodded in reply.

In truth, (Y/n) had sort of suspected as much. But up until this moment, she had tried to deny it. Gunri had been an old dwarf when he had first taken her in. Old even for one of his kind. And even though he had been set in his ways and had no idea how to deal with a young child, never mind a little girl. (Y/n) had loved him. He was the only father that she had ever known. And even though they were not blood, and she wasn't even a dwarf, (Y/n) knew that the grumpy old master smith had loved her too. So, when he hadn't sent for her, she had known that something was wrong.

"When.........when did he........."

"Not long after he got here. The journey had been tough on him. Yet he wanted to make sure that his forge was still in working order. He was going to send for you, (Y/n). Really, he was. He had it all planned out. He was going to make you the new master of his forge. He said that he had already spoken to Master Balin about it. Asked if the king would allow you to stay in the Lonely Mountain." Dava explained. The female dwarf groaning at her creaking knees, as she got to her feet and made her way over to a large chest that sat on the floor. Dava opening the lid and pulling out a small rolled up piece of parchment, before she re-joined (Y/n) and her husband.

"He left this with us. He knew that ya wouldn't be able to stay away for too long. He knew that ya would make your way here eventually. Despite what he may have ever said or done; I know he loved ya, (Y/n). He saw you as his child." Dava told (Y/n), before handing her the scroll. The young mortal apprentice, slowly pulling on the scrap of material that had been sealed by her master's hand. (Y/n) struggling to see through the tears as she read the dwarfs last words.

(Y/n), my child.

You have always been a good girl. Done everything that ya were told.

And achieved more than I thought possible.

I'm a gruff old dwarf. Never had time for a wife or children of me own.

Yet, in you, I found a family. And though I could never tell ya this, I have always loved you.

Given that, I have spoken to Master Balin about ya takin over me forge when ya undoubtably follow after me.

I have told him that there is one last step that you need ta take, before ya can call yaself a master blacksmith. And that is to make ya own sword. He has promised ta find a suitable master that will look over ya work. A master that will promise ta continue ya education, if ya need it. But I am sure that ya won't.

Take care of the forge. Work hard.

Until we meet again.

Your father.

(Y/n) let the scroll drop to the floor. The tears now unstoppable. Rolling down her cheeks, as she finally realised that she would never get to see the old dwarf again. That she would never be able to call him father. That she would never be able to hug the grumpy old dwarf and thank him for all that he had done for her.

"Come now, young un. Gunri had had a long life. A good life. And he had that cos of you. He was very proud of ya, (Y/n). Ta talk ta master Balin. Ta make sure that king Thorin would let ya take over his forge. That is something that is usually only between father and son. That speaks volumes as to how much he thought of ya." Dava consoled. Placing her arms around (Y/n). Her sorrow, making (Y/n) feel more exhausted than she already did.

"Why don't ya get some rest. Ya look as though ya about to collapse. Tomorrow............."

"No, please. If Gunri spoke to Master Balin, I must go and see him. I don't want to leave the forge cold for any longer than it has to be. I owe Gunri that. I can rest another time. I want to know if Balin has found someone that will look at my work, as he promised he would. I need to do this now. The heart of the forge must be lit. It must be brought to life. My father would have expected it." (Y/n) pleaded. Taking Dava's hands. Dava looking between her husband and the teary eyed mortal. Knowing that despite (Y/n)'s true lineage, she could be every inch as stubborn as any dwarf. And that she would not rest until she had seen the oldest son of Fundin.

"Very well. Butpromise me that if Master Balin can't see ya, you will come and rest." Davaagreed. (Y/n) jumping to her feet and wiping the tears from her eyes, beforestraightening herself. For if she was going to meet the this Balin, then shehad to make a good impression. So, for now, sorrow would have to wait