A find in the woods - Part 1 - Bilbo x Reader

"OW! I wish they made Hobbit holes just a little bigger." A voice said. Bilbo chuckling as (Y/n) walked into the kitchen rubbing her head.

"I thought that you would have learned to avoid those beams by now, (Y/n). It's not like you haven't spent enough time here." Bilbo replied, as he pulled out a chair for her to sit on. (Y/n) rolling her eyes, as her friend continued to chuckle.

"I know.........but sometimes I forget. I just get up or turn around and don't realise how tall I've gotten, until I've got a large bump on my head." She explained. Still rubbing at the sore spot.

To say that (Y/n) was an oddity in the Shire, would be an understatement. There had never been a member of the race of men in the Hobbit's world before. Well, not that anyone could remember. Yet here she was. A female of the race of men, smiling softly at Bilbo.

It had all started so long ago now. When Bilbo had only been a young Hobbit himself. But he could remember the day like it was yesterday. He, Bertin Burrows, Abbo Chubbs and his cousins Brice Brandybuck and Rufus Took had gone exploring for the day. The five hoping to find an adventure, or at least something fun to do. Brice and Rufus also hoping to find some sweet summer berries or possibly mushrooms that they could eat along the way, or take home to their mothers to cook for supper.

The day was pleasantly warm, as the five set out. The sun kissing their skin as they ran through the Shire. Doing their best to avoid the looks from some of the disapproving older hobbits, and Bergonia Diggle's prize pig. The young hobbits laughing as they ran through the long grass, making their way to a small outcrop of trees that wasn't too far away. The five climbing up into the branches and taking shade under the canopy of leaves. Bilbo sighing happily, as he found himself just the right spot. A little of the sun peeking through the leaves over the place that he had sat. The others talking about going fishing. About finding some chestnuts that they could roast, or even perhaps going to see what lay beyond the borders of the Shire. The young Baggins instead choosing to just close his eyes and chew on the long piece straw that he had brought into the woods with him. Taking a deep breath and just enjoying the day. The only sound, other than the occasional voice of one of his companions, being the song from the birds and the croak of the frogs from a nearby pond.

"Did you hear that............?" Bilbo suddenly asked, as he sat up straight, doing his best not to fall off the branch upon which he sat.

"Hear what.............?" Rufus enquired, through a mouthful of berries that he and Brice had just found. The faces of the two brown haired Hobbits already covered in the sticky, deep purple juices of the fruit.

"There it is again..............." Bilbo replied, as he jumped to the ground. His brows furrowing as he looked around the woods, hoping to pick up where the strange sound was coming from.

"What.............?" Abbo this time questioned, as he took one of the berries from the pile that Rufus and Brice had managed to already build and popped it into his mouth. 

"It............it sounds like a baby crying..............." Bilbo told his friend, before he made his way a little further into the woods. His eyes growing wide, as he saw a tightly swaddled bundle not far from edge of the pond.

"What..........what is it..............?" Bertin nervously asked. Bilbo shaking his head at the foolish question, as he stepped a little closer to the wiggling little thing. The cries of the tiny creature stopping, as Bilbo came to stand over her. The young Hobbit feeling his heart beat a little quicker, as the baby looked up at him with a beautiful pair of eyes. Beginning to coo softly, as Bilbo knelt by its side.

"What do you think it is Bertin..........? It's a baby. And it's a girl, I think. But..........but it's not a Hobbit................."

"What do you mean, it's not a Hobbit? And don't do that.........put it down...........! It must belong to someone, Bilbo. What if its mother comes back..............?" Abbo blurted out, as Bilbo carefully picked up the baby and cradled it in his arms. The smile only leaving his face, as he saw the small scrap of parchment that had been attached to the swaddling. His eyes filling with sadness as he had read the words scribbled on it. The baby's desperate mother saying that she hoped that whoever found her child would care for her and love her. That they would do all the things for her, that she couldn't. Bilbo carefully getting to his feet and making his way back towards the edge of the woods with the now slumbering little female.

"Where are you going...............?" Brice questioned, as he ran up behind his cousin. The others quickly joining the pair, as they made their way back out into the sunlight. Bilbo comforting the little bundle, as the sun hit her eyes.

"I'm taking her back to the Shire." Bilbo stated, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. The others stopping and staring at one another in disbelief, before racing to catch up with their friend once more.

There had of course been a lot of talk when Bilbo had appeared with the little one. Some of the older Hobbits saying that they should somehow get the baby back to her own kind. Bilbo overjoyed when Tulip Twofoot had come forward, saying that she would care for the new addition to the Shire. That she would raise the little girl as her own and that she would be as much of a Hobbit as any other. And so, she had. The little girl, whom she named (Y/n), growing steady and strong. Bilbo doing his best to spend as much time with the little one that he had found in the woods, as he could. The unusual pair becoming the firmest of friends, as the years passed, and she had grown. Bilbo smiling at her as he shook the old memories from his mind. Placing some honey and bread down on the table that they could enjoy together while having their tea. The Hobbit hoping that this time, he would be able to tell the girl that he had found that day so long ago, how he really felt for her.