Green Thumbs - Part 1 - Lindir x Reader

Now, this is something a little different. Another writer and I are having some fun for the New Year. We are using the same character, Lindir. The same prompts, those being that the reader character is half hobbit, half human and a friend of Gandalf, sent by him to see Lord Elrond to help him redesign some of the gardens in Rivendell. And somewhere along the way, we have to include the line "what is this between us?" As I said, it is just a little something to see how different writers can produce vastly different stories despite the same prompts. So, here is the first part of my story and I hope that when julzrulz4ever uploads hers, you will give her version a look too.

Anyway, here it is, and Happy New Year to you all.

A small cart made its way into Rivendell. The rattling wooden contraption had certainly seen better days, but there was a certain charm about it that no one could deny; especially when coupled with the rather cheery looking donkey that pulled it along. The creature sporting an old hat through which its long, pointed ears poked, and a rather impressive and bright sunflower; around which, a happily little bumblebee currently flew. The donkey occasionally huffing at the sound of insect buzzing in its ear.

The driver of said cart, had never seen Imladris before; she had heard of it, most assuredly, but until this moment she had never had the chance to see the true wonders of the realm of Lord Elrond. And what wonders they were. The slight of stature driver, unable to stop herself from smiling, as the wheels of the cart trundled happily along the cobbled stones.

In truth, she could not believe that she was there. She had been born in Bree, her mother a hobbit, and father a man, and not for one moment had she ever thought that she would get to see one of the homes of the elves. Most of her time was spent with her mother's people in or around the wonders of the Shire. Occasionally, she would venture a little further afield in hopes of securing little jobs here and there. But in truth, she just liked to see the world. Not averse to a little adventure here and there. And this.............well, this was definitely going to be an adventure.

She had known Gandalf for some time. She was never quite sure how or why their paths had crossed, but she had always been glad they had. She liked the wizard. He had a mischievous streak that she found quite appealing; it always feeling as though he was up to something. But he had always been the friendliest of souls and had admired her ability with plants and flowers, trees and shrubs. And it was because of the tall grey Ishtar, that she now found herself amongst the elves.

"Now, Poppy..........." The driver began. The donkey pricking up its ears at the sound of its name, as the cart made its way to where she had been told that they should go.

"Remember what Mister Gandalf said..........we are here to help Lord Elrond redesign the formal garden where he holds his meetings. He recommended us. So, be on your best behaviour, and no eating the rose bushes. We have to make a good impression. Mister Gandalf said that we are very lucky, not many get invited to Imladris; so, you never know, if we do a good job here, the next place that we might get to see could be Lothlórien. Can you imagine...........meeting the Lady of Light herself..................." The half-hobbit mused softly, as they continued down the path. A small smile pulling at her lips, as she saw two tall, rather statuesque ellons, with long flowing dark brown hair, stood waiting at the bottom of a long staircase. Exactly where Gandalf told her that they would be.

                                                       >>--------------------------------<<

Lindir stood next to his lord. The pair waiting to meet the gardener that Gandalf had recommended to Lord Elrond. He had to admit that the half-elven had not told him much about what to expect. Just that their visitor was not an elf, and not a dwarf, thank the Valar. That they were exceptionally good with anything that grew and would be the perfect one to design the new gardens. But other than that, there was really nothing. Though Lord Elrond did seem quite interested in meeting the visitor. And that was why the pair had been stood at the bottom of the staircase for some time.

Suddenly, the equerry's ears picked up a noise. It wasn't the nicest sound he had ever heard. It was a mixture of ratting and clattering. Of hooves on cobbles and a braying that made Lindir cringe a little. His eyes growing wide, as there suddenly appeared a small, slightly battered cart that looked as though at any moment it would fall apart. That if one of its wheels were to hit a hole or a rut, all that would be left was a pile of sticks. The donkey that pulled it, the obvious source of the cheery braying, holding its head up proudly, as it saw the other elves stop and look. But it wasn't the cart, nor the fuzzy grey creature that pulled it that truly caught his attention, it was its driver.

Even from a distance, Lindir could definitely tell, despite the fact that they wore a large dark brown cloak and cowl that covered them completely, that they were certainly not tall enough to be an elf. Nor were they robust enough to be a dwarf. So quite what they were, he didn't know. But as the cart pulled up to a halt in front of himself and Elrond, he knew that he would soon find out.

                                                                 >>------------------------------<<

She pulled her cart to a stop, as she drew up in front of the pair of rather handsome elves. One in particular catching her attention, as she climbed down from her seat, and made her way over to Poppy. Giving the donkey a scratch behind the ears and a small apple that she had pulled from her pocket, before turning her attention fully to the ellons.

"Lord Elrond.................?"

"I am Lord Elrond. And you.............you must be Mistress (Y/n). It is a pleasure to finally meet you. My old friend Gandalf has told me much about you. He has told me that there is no one in Middle Earth better to help me with our gardens, than you." Elrond replied, as he stepped forward. A smile pulling at the corners of his lips, as the half-hobbit slowly pulled down her hood to reveal quite the loveliest face that he, and with the gasp that had just left Lindir's mouth, obviously Lindir as well, had ever seen. The lord offering the little lady his hand.

"Yes, my lord.........I am (Y/n). But all my friends call me Green Thumbs............."