Chapter 4: Home

It's almost dark in Lamar Canyon pack territory and all the wolves in the Storm Wind pack are getting ready to head out to Slough Creek. The snow has just hit the ground and most pups born the year before are getting ready to leave for next year. My pups are 3 months old and are already running around and getting into trouble. Lavander's pups are getting ready to leave for next year.

"Is everyone ready to go?", Asterope howls.

"We just need to gather the pups", barks Skyy.

Skyy, Lavander, and Nina gather the pups and put them into groups. Star, Cloud, Thunder, Denali, and Cirrus in one. Rosalind, Forget, Pariss, and Mato in the other. The last group is Hunter, Spirit, and Venus.

"Ready!", says Skyy.

All the wolves gathered into a big group and started heading east.

"My paws are cold", whined Cirrus.

"Aren't everyone's", replied Cloud.

"Calm down pups it's not going to be long until we get there", Skyy explained.

"Fine mom"

The ground was cold for all the wolves and there was more to come. It was the middle of October and winter had just begun for all the wolves and creatures in Yellowstone. My pups had never experienced a cold winter, so they were cranky the whole way to Slough Creek.

The wolves continued in the cold snow and could see the Lamar River insight

"Is that the river?", asked to Forget.

"Yes, that is. It means we're almost there, just over those mountains.", Lavender replied.

We kept going on an empty stomach in the cold weather. Our paws felt frozen, and our stomachs felt hollow. The wind had no scent and the ground no end. We climbed the mountain and when we reached the top, we saw Slough Creek in the distance.

I could feel Asterope's warm breath when he sighed with relief.

"That's Slough Creek down there"

"It's amazing!", Tawa howled, the moon reflecting in her eyes.

We walked over the land between Slough Creek and Lamar Valley. The sun was rising, and the warmth of Sough Creek started to become reality.

"We've arrived!", Asterope howled with relief.

"I know where a den is", I say.

"You do?"

"Yes, now follow me"

Everyone followed me up a stream and up onto a rocky hillside. When we got there, a lovely surprise awaited."Mom! Dad!", Asterope exclaimed.

"How did you get here?"

"We followed your scent and knew that Skyy would lead you here" "When Skyy's Aunt Siri died, Argon brought his family to this den", Nadine explained.

"This den is called Siri Stone", Jamel added.

"This den has history with the Moonlight and Starlight packs." "It's pretty special", Skyy barked.

"I want our pups to grow up somewhere where I grew up," Skyy said.

"Wow, that's a lot of information, and just about a den." "This den must be really special", Asterope barks.

Suddenly the den started to glow, blue runes started to become visible. All the wolves stared at the magical sight.

"What is going on?", Cirrus says.

A see-through white wolf appears above the den.

"Siri", I said understanding why she was there.

"Hello, and welcome to Siri's Stone", the wolf said.

I got down on my front legs and bowed respectively to the wolf.

"What are you doing", Asterope whispered to me.

"She is a queen, Queen Siri", I replied.

Asterope copied me and bowed to the queen, getting down on his front legs.

The other wolves did the same, eventfully all the wolves and pups of Storm Wind were bowing to the past Queen.

"Thank you for your consideration towards me", Siri softy woofed.

"I've come to tell you to take care of this den, don't disrespect it or leave it all of a sudden"

"We won't let you down", I howl.

"Then I must go, take care of yourselves, and make sure to lead her on the right path", she said, her voice fading.

"What did she mean by "her", everyone asked

She might have meant one of the wolves, I must not tell anyone I know though, not even Asterope.

"Well, let's get the den ready for the pups", Nadine finally said.

The Luna wolves and I go inside the new den and get settled.

"I'm so glad to be in a warm place again", Spirit says.

"Same!", some of the other pups bark.

"Okay everyone let's get started making this den warmer.", Skyy says.

"Lavander can you and Nina go find some dried grass?", Skyy asks.

"Come on Nina let's go find some grass", Lavander says while crawling out of the den.

"Now pups come on over and eat", Skyy says nudging her pups over. I started regurgitating meat from a small carcass we found on the journey.

Days go by and the snow is melting, and flowers are blooming. At this time of year, pups are playing outside and adult wolves are hanging around in the nice weather.

The sun is shining on a new day at Siri's Stone for the Storm Wind pack. On this specific day, only five wolves went hunting up north, the rest of the pack was lounging at the den.

"I'm bored", said one of the pups hanging upside down on a small rock.

"Me too", replied one of the other pups.

"Why don't you guys go down and play in the stream, Rosalind will join you", said Lavander sitting near the entrance to the den.

"Yay!", barks Star.

"Why do I have to go", Rosalind whines.

"Because you are almost to the age where you leave the pack and find a mate. You've got to learn to handle pups like this", explains Lavander.

"Fine", Rosalind says annoyed.

Rosalind is now a dark brown juvenile she-wolf with blue eyes.

The pups and Rosalind go down to the stream and play. The rest of the wolves stay at the den minding their own business and enjoy the quiet without the pups.

I still wonder which wolf Siri was talking about, or if it was even a wolf.