The New Defense Master

Aries and Draco walked into the Great Hall with their four friends and made their way over to the Gryffindor table. As always, Aries's eyes darted up to the head table to see who would be the new Defence master. This year, of course, there would also be a new Potions master, Professor Slughorn. He was a good friend of Abraxas's, and had agreed to return to teaching as a personal favour. (Abraxas had warned Aries, however, that he would be expected to become a part of the professor's 'Slug Club'.) A rather portly wizard sat next to Professor McGonagall, and Harry supposed he must be Slughorn. He fit Abraxas's description perfectly. Harry continued scanning the row for any other new teacher, and his jaw dropped open when he saw the wizard who was sitting beside Remus.

He hit Draco in the arm, and the blond boy glared at him in annoyance. "What did you do that for?" he demanded. Aries jerked his head towards the head table. "Look who's sitting beside Uncle Moony," he said with a grin. Draco complied, and gasped before beginning to chuckle. "I should have guessed," he said. "It was bound to be him or Aunt Cassie." "This year is going to be bloody effing brilliant,"Aries replied with a triumphant smirk on his lips. "Hogwarts will never know what hit it."

"What are you two going on about?" Fred demanded. Draco grinned at him. "Check out the new Defence master," he said. "He's the one sitting by Professor Lupin." All four of their friends looked up at the head table, and the twins erupted with shouts of delight. "Who is it?" Dean asked. "It's their dad," George told him. "Really?" Lee exclaimed. "Sirius Black is teaching here at Hogwarts?"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Fred asked. "We didn't know," Draco said defensively. Aries nodded in agreement. "I bet he wanted to keep it a surprise." He laughed. "You lot realise what this means, don't you?" He's eyes glimmering as the excitement echoed through his voice. "What's that?" the twins said in unison. "Both surviving Marauders are teaching at Hogwarts this year," Aries said.

The twins grinned at each other. "What do you reckon, Fred?" George said to his brother. "Think we might actually learn something?" Fred smirked. What do you think Mum will say once she learns who our new Defence professor is?" Just then their younger brother walked by. "What are you on about?" Ron demanded. "Who's the new teacher?" Fred only jerked his head towards Aries . "Ask him."

Ron narrowed his eyes, but looked at Aries expectantly. "Well, Black?" Aries shrugged. "It's my dad." He said in bored tone "WHAT?" Ron shouted, ignoring the fact that several heads turned to stare at him. "Sirius Black is teaching here at Hogwarts? He's a murderer!"

"He is not," Aries said with a sigh. "He was released from prison, remember?" "So you're saying your dad has never killed anyone?" Ron asked incredulously. Aries rolled his eyes. "Only really annoying redheads, Bilius." His eyes gleamed dangerously. "You ought to watch yourself. It's a family trait." "Are you threatening me?" Ron growled. "What do you think, Bilius?" Fred taunted him. "To think that someone so thick could be related to us," George added.

Suddenly, Dean spoke up, his voice calm and even. "Fred and George, kindly desist from tormenting your brother," he said, then turned to Aries. "As for you, Aries, you will not kill Bilius unless he gives you due cause. He is a pureblood after all." Fred and George looked confused, but Aries's lips twitched in understanding. He replied to Dean with a quick bow of the head. "As you wish," he said, then glanced significantly at Fred and George. The twins' faces lit up with comprehension, and they likewise bowed their heads.

"Yes, my...Dean," Fred said. "Your wish is our command," George whispered in a respectful voice. Draco and Lee had to struggle to stifle their laughter, but Ron and Seamus had worried expressions on their faces as they glanced back and forth amongst the friends. Dean's features were a mask of cool arrogance, whilst Aries and the twins kept their eyes lowered respectfully whenever they glanced in his direction.

"Tell me, Draco," Dean drawled. "Do you think your stepfather will prove an adequate instructor? Do you think his knowledge of the subject is equal to that of your esteemed grandfather?" The blond boy nodded reverently. "Indeed," he said. "Dad's knowledge of special magic is unsurpassed. After all, he learned it directly from your...I mean, from the Dark Lord." Dean smirked. "Excellent. I trust that I shall find him...satisfactory." "Dean, what's got into you?" Seamus asked.

Dean turned to give Seamus a cold glare, but before he could open his mouth to respond, the main doors of the hall opened, and Professor Sprout led in the soaked and bedraggled first years. The Sorting proceeded as usual, with no particular surprises, and the Headmistress officially began the feast.

The boys dug into the food heartily, and Dean made a point to demand certain particularly choice morsels, which the others reluctantly gave him. The twins looked as though they were beginning to resent how far Dean was taking his role as the Dark Lordling, but Aries was proud of how he was pulling it off so far. He considered Dean Thomas to be living proof that Muggleborns didn't all have to be arrogant swots or ignorant nincompoops. And if he wanted to take advantage of his role to ensure that he got the best cut of roast beef...well, what was the point of being Mini-Mort if one could not even enjoy any of the perquisites?

Once the delicious feast was done – and Aries had enjoyed three helpings of cake – McGonagall stood up to give her speech. The entire Hall fell silent in an instant. "It is my great pleasure to welcome all of you back to Hogwarts this year," she began. "I would encourage all of you to take notice of the school rules, which are clearly posted in the Common Room of each House. In addition, beginning this term, all students will discover their very own copy of the rules lying on their beds when they return to the dormitories."

Aries and Draco gave each other knowing smirks at that, but Hermione Granger was unable to suppress her giggle of delight, which earned her the glares of the entire Gryffindor table. "If you have any questions concerning the school rules, or any other aspect of life at Hogwarts," McGonagall continued, "you may consult your House prefects. You are also reminded that the Forbidden Forest is off-limits to all students unless accompanied by a staff member, and that the use of magic is prohibited in the corridors." She glared at the students as if daring them to protest. None of them did.

"I should also like to introduce one new staff member, and welcome back another who has graciously consented to return from his retirement," she went on. "Professor Horace Slughorn, our long-time Potions master, has taken up his old post, recently vacated by Severus Snape." There was polite applause from all the tables. The stout old wizard waved his fingers at the students, but remained in his seat. Aries supposed it was too much effort for him to stand after such a heavy meal.

"Professor Slughorn will also be resuming his old position as Head of Slytherin House," McGonagall said once the applause died down. "As for our new professor, I should like you all to welcome Professor Sirius Black, who has kindly agreed to teach Defence against the Dark Arts this year."

Aries and Draco jumped to their feet in vigorous applause, along with their friends, and, of course, the entire Gryffindor Quidditch team. Many of the Slytherins applauded as well, knowing what a very important man Sirius Black was turning out to be. Of the rest, a few applauded – mostly the children of prominent pureblood families who had been invited to the Black wedding – but most broke out into loud whispers. Sirius rose to his feet in a dignified way and bowed graciously. He glanced over at the boys and winked before drawing his wand and pointing it into the air.

"Alada Chocavra!" he shouted, causing shrieks of terror to erupt from several girls, and not a few boys. There was a burst of pink light from his wand, and thousands of chocolate Galleons rained from the ceiling on the unsuspecting student body. Sated with dessert as they all were, they were nonetheless delighted to see the raining sweets, and dived to collect as many as they could.

Aries's grinned at his father, who was looking rather pleased with himself. Remus shook his head disapprovingly, but his lips were twitching at the edges. McGonagall, for her part, looked as though she was about to have a stroke. "Prefects," she rasped once she had regained her composure. "Please escort the first-year students to the dormitories."