Cheers Moony

"I can't believe you did that, Padfoot," Remus said that evening whilst they relaxed in Sirius's quarters with a bottle of firewhisky. Sirius looked offended. "What do you mean? All I did was pass out chocolate to the students, something I should think you of all people would approve of."

"Ordinarily, you might be right," Remus conceded. "But I've never cared for that particular spell, however much I might enjoy its effects. I could never figure out why you and James invented it." Sirius took a long drag on his cigarette. "We did it with all the Unforgivables," he said, a distinct note of pride sounding in his voice. "The Chocolate Curse, the Dulciatus Curse and – my personal favourite – the Butterbeerius Curse. Best bits of spellwork we ever managed." Remus chuckled. "You two did work rather well together," he said. "Potter and Black: dangerous enough apart, but if you combine them, they turn into an unstoppable force of nature."

Sirius smirked. "You know, Prongs's portrait wanted to come along. He had all sorts of ideas for ways he could help us make mischief with his unique powers of portraiture." The laughter overtaking his tone. "McGonagall would have gone mental," Remus observed. "It was bad enough after your little stunt at the feast." "She only has to put up with me for one year," Sirius replied with a grin. "Next year is Aunt Cassie's turn."

Remus groaned. "Our program will be the envy of Durmstrang." The dread evident in his voice. "Exactly," Sirius said smugly. "After a year with the Wicked Witch of Windermere Court, old Minnie will be begging me to come back." Remus sighed despairingly as he filled up their glasses. "Do you ever intend to stop interfering with the teacher-selection process?" he asked.

Sirius smiled. "Of course," he replied. "Just as soon as the boys finish school." He thanked Remus as he accepted his glass. "Besides, you're hardly in a position to complain. You too have benefited from the munificent meddling of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black." Remus snorted. "Just when did the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black begin to concern themselves with the employment prospects of werewolves?" "When I took over," Sirius replied. "I've also invested a good deal of gold in a Muggle firm called Micro-Socks." "Why would you care about Muggle footwear?" Remus questioned him with a slight tilt of his head. "I don't," Sirius said, a broad grin on his handsome face. "But I've made it my personal ambition to do everything possible to make my parents spin in their graves."

"Investing in a company that makes socks for Muggle children is a sure way to do that," Remus agreed. Sirius took a sip of firewhisky. "It gets better," he said. "Micro-Socks is headquartered in the States." His werewolf friend chuckled. "What better way to annoy your mother than to give her money to American Muggles?"

"Precisely," Sirius replied, a bright glint in his eyes. "That's why a made a point of taking the gold out of what was left of her marriage portion." His voice and eyes barely betraying his ultimate satisfaction. "You're a horrible son, you know?" Remus said smiling.

"So she was fond of telling me." Sirius shrugged. "She was a horrible mother. Turnabout is fair play." He ground his cigarette into a crystal ashtray he had ordered engraved with the family crest, aiming the butt, as always, for the motto. "So, Professor Moony, what do you think of our boys' Transfiguration skills?"

"Aries's at least as good as you and James were, and Draco's not far behind, probably just ahead of where I was at his age," Remus replied. "Of course, Aries's capable of more advanced work if I let him use Parseltongue, but I've restricted him to using it during our extracurricular training." "That's good," Sirius said darkly. "I'd rather him not use Parseltongue for what I have in mind." Remus's lips twitched. "And what exactly did you have in mind, Professor Padfoot?"

Sirius took another sip of firewhisky. "I've decided to teach the boys the Animagus transformation." "Don't you think they're still a bit young?" Remus asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Prongs and I were their age when we started working on it," Sirius pointed out. "And we didn't have the benefit of an experienced instructor."

Remus sighed. "Well, you are their father, and an actual Animagus. I am neither. You're probably far more qualified than I to decide when they're ready to learn." Sirius only smiled contentedly. "You look happy," Remus observed. "What's that about?"

"You just reminded me that I'm Aries and Draco's dad," Sirius replied. "I still get a thrill out of thinking about it." "They're great boys,"Remus said. Sirius nodded. "I know." He furrowed his brow. "I really don't deserve them." "No, you don't," Remus said as he sipped his drink. "But they deserve you."Hogwarts' newest professor laughed. "Cheers, Moony."