Dance Lessons

One afternoon, a few weeks after the funeral, Sirius escorted Aries and Draco to Malfoy Manor after lessons, where they found Narcissa and Clytemnestra waiting for them in the ballroom. "What's this about, Mum?" Draco asked. "Now that you boys are ten years old, you will be permitted to attend the Ministry Christmas Ball this year," Narcissa explained. "There will be many lovely girls your own age present, and I expect both of you to acquit yourselves as befits young wizards of your station."

Aries and Draco looked at each other in panic. Aries opened his mouth to protest, but Sirius cut him off with a smile. "When Cissy says 'permitted'," he clarified, "naturally she means 'required'." "But we don't know how to dance!" Aries protested. "That is why you and Draco will be taking dancing lessons every day until the ball," Narcissa replied. "We shall begin with the waltz." "Cissy and I shall demonstrate first, so you'll have an idea of how it's supposed to look," Sirius added.

He flicked his wand and music began to play. He bowed to Narcissa and she made a curtsy in return. Then they began to dance. Aries had never seen anything quite like it. His dad and aunt twirled effortlessly around the dance floor, spinning and dipping gracefully. They moved together in perfect balance, not one foot out of place. It was mesmerizing. Aries was certain he would never be able to do anything like that, and, judging from the gobsmacked expression on his cousin's face, Draco felt exactly the same way. The music ended and Sirius and Narcissa stopped. Aries, Draco and Clytemnestra all applauded.

"Of course, we don't expect you to be able to do that just yet," Sirius said. "Cissy and I have been dancing together since we were children." He paired Aries with Narcissa and Draco with Clytemnestra, and then began giving the boys pointers. He drilled them relentlessly, and by the end of the lesson the boys were exhausted. "I can't believe you let Aunt Narcissa talk you into this," Aries complained to Sirius when they got home. "It's torture."

Sirius smirked. "Actually, it was my idea." "Yours?" Aries was indignant. "But of course," his dad replied. "I was shocked when I learned that you and Draco hadn't started dancing lessons before now. I began when I was five." Aries pouted. "I don't see why we have to do them at all." "Watch the whinging," Sirius warned. "Besides, how do you ever expect to win all the girls if you can't even dance? Trust me, one day you'll thank me for making you do this."

Harry only scowled darkly. "My feet hurt." Sirius laughed. "You enjoy playing the piano, don't you?" "It's all right," Aries replied. Sirius gave him a doubtful look. The boy groaned. "Fine. I enjoy it very much." "Did you like practicing at first?" Aries knew where Sirius was going with this, but he knew better than to argue. "No." He muttered. "Were you angry at Marius and Clytemnestra for making you take the lessons?" "Not really," Aries said cheekily. "I was still so grateful to them for rescuing me from the Muggles that I willingly submitted to all kinds of torture."

Sirius rolled his eyes. "And now that you're an exasperating, over-indulged prat, would you acquiesce so easily?" Aries smirked. "Probably not." "Are you nonetheless happy, or even – dare I say it? – grateful, that you were forced to take those awful piano lessons?" "Yes," Aries admitted. "I see your point." He grinned. "But I'm still allowed to dislike the dancing lessons in the meantime, aren't I?" Sirius tousled the boy's hair. "So long as you remember to watch the whinging."