Back To Normal

The Monday after the funeral, Druella Black left Malfoy Manor and moved permanently into Grimmauld Place in order to help her mother-in-law, much to the relief of Sirius, who was more than happy finally to move back to Windermere Court. Aries was simply glad to have things return more or less to their proper order.

On the Wednesday after the funeral, Aries and Draco resumed their lessons. Cassiopeia launched the boys on an intensive preparatory program, including the full range of subjects they would be studying in their first year at Hogwarts.

"By the time you start school, I expect you to have your first-year course books memorized," she informed them in a tone that brooked no opposition. "You are scions of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. It simply will not do for either of you to be shown up by wizards of lesser lineage."

Both boys steadily improved with their wandwork, though Draco continued to have a slight edge over Aries when casting normally. Aries found this very frustrating, especially since every spell he practiced would come easily if only he used Parseltongue. At first he was tempted to spend all his time outside of lessons practicing with Parseltongue, since it was so much easier, but it only succeeded in making it even harder for him to perform spells normally in class. Since Aries still did not wish to alert Cassiopeia to his newfound talent, he decided to bring up his problem with Sirius.

"That's very strange," Sirius said, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "I don't see why using Parseltongue for spells should have a deleterious effect on your other magic." "Maybe I should just use Parseltongue all the time, and not worry about the other," Aries suggested. Sirius raised an eyebrow. "And when other people find out?" "Let them deal with it," Aries replied casually.

Sirius shook his head. "I don't like it. I think you should avoid using Parseltongue for the time being. Build up your strength with your normal magic first." "But shouldn't I practice the Parseltongue too?" Aries protested. "It seems to come to you naturally enough without practice," Sirius pointed out. "What are the most advanced spells you can do with Parseltongue?" "I've got through all the third-year spells without a problem." Aries responded proudly. "What can you do normally?" Aries's shoulders fell. "I'm struggling to keep up with Draco." "Focus on your normal work," Sirius said, ruffling his son's hair. "Once you catch up a bit, then maybe you can bring out the Parseltongue again."

Aries did not like depriving himself of his unique ability, but Sirius's advice made good sense, and Aries went along with it. In time, he caught up with Draco, though his performance, much to Cassiopeia's frustration, never surpassed what one would expect from a young wizard of average abilities. The only exception seemed to be during their weekly sessions of special magic, where Aries did seem to have a special gift. This mollified Cassiopeia somewhat, though it also confused her.

"Magnificent, Aries," she said one Friday, after Aries had managed the Blood-boiling Curse on his first try. "Why is it that you manage these spells with such ease, but never display anything other than determined mediocrity in your other work?" "I don't know, Aunt Cassie," Aries said quietly. Draco gave him a worried look, but said nothing.