To Mister Black

A week before Christmas, three owls arrived at Windermere Court for "Mstr Aries Black," "Mstr A.S. Black," and "Mstr Aries Sirius Black, Future Heir of the Noble and Most Ancient, etc.." They carried three letters on fine parchment that had been addressed in three different, but very elegant hands. Harry nervously opened the first envelope and read the letter aloud.

Dear Aries, it began.

I was delighted to learn of your existence as I was saddened to learn of the tragic passing of your mother, my beautiful daughter Regina. I should be very pleased if you would join me for Christmas at Malfoy Manor. This year, I shall be hosting the entire Malfoy and Black families, so you will have the opportunity to meet the rest of your relatives. As your grandfather and closest living relative who is at liberty to provide for you, I wish to discuss certain aspects of your upbringing and guardianship.

If they must come, my sister and her husband are invited as well.

With much tender affection, I remain

Your loving Grandfather,

Abraxas Malfoy

     Aunt Clytmenstra became very excited and wanted Aries to write back at once, but Uncle Marius insisted that Harry open the remaining letters first. The second letter read as follows:

Dear Aries,

It was with profound pleasure that I learnt from my sister Cassiopeia about you, though I am very sorry to hear of your poor mother's death. I am sure that it is difficult for you, being taken away from your mother at such a young age and forced to live with Squib relatives, who though I am certain they are doing their absolute best to provide for you, cannot possible afford you the proper wizarding upbringing to which I have no doubt you have been accustomed. Therefore, your great-grandmother Irma and I have decided to move back to England, where we will take up our abode in your grandmother's old house at number twelve, Grimmauld Place in London. You will come live with us, and we shall give you every attention, as benefits a young wizard of your station.

This Christmas, the entire family will be gathering  at Malfoy Manor, and I sincerely hope you will be able to join us. Please inform my brother and his wife they are to come as well. On Boxing Day, I intend to give you a tour of your new home.

Your great-grandmother sends her fondest regards.

Affectionately yours,

P.C. Black

     The last letter was written in a very ornamental hand, and Aries needed occasional help from Uncle Marius to decipher it. It also bore a heavy wax seal, imprinted with a family crest.

To Mstr Aries Sirius Black, eldest son of Mr Sirius Orion Black, Heir to the Noble and Most Ancient, etc., salutations and greetins!

As Head of the Noble and Most Ancient, etc., it is both my very great privilege and sacred responsibility to welcome you into our venerable and illustrious family, and also to express my sincere condolences at the tragic passing of your dear mother, Mrs. Sirius Orion Black. It is such difficult times especially that we  recall the importance of family, and maintaining a connection with our past.

As your great-grandfather and Head of our family, I feel that it is very important for me to see that you are properly cared for, all the more so since I know that one day you will assume the heavy burden that I have borne for over three decades: Headship of our Noble and Most Ancient House. It is for that reason that I  have decided that you are to come live with me and my wife at our home in southern France. I understand that you resided with your late mother in France, so this familiar setting should no doube prove most comfortable for you.

I intend to spend Christmas at Malfoy Manor along with the remainder of our family, though I do so only our of a desire to see you, my distinguished offspring. I therefore adjure you to come to Malfoy Manor this Christmas, so that I am not forced to make such an arduous journey for naught.

Cordially yours,

Arcturus Sirius Black, Order of Merlin, First Class

Head of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black

PS- The Squibs may come too

     Aries reacted to the letters with distress. "I don't want to go live in any of those places,"  he said to Uncle Marius, trying hard to hold back his tears. " I want to stay here with you and Aunt Clytemnestra, and the portraits." Uncle Marius smiled and patted the boy on the shoulder. "Don't worry, my boy," he reassured Aries. "The first rule of living in the Black family is to master the family politics. Arcturus and Pollux hate each other; they'll each do anything to get you on their side and keep you out of the other's hands." "As for Abraxas," Aunt Clytemnestra explained, "he has his own agenda. You may not be in line to inherit his family wealth, but he would certainly like for you to think of yourself as a Malfoy rather than a Black." Uncle Marius chuckled. "If we play this right, we can play them off one another, you won't have to leave here at all, and you'll suddenly find yourself with all sorts of family members who will be constantly showering you with affection."  Aries thought that sounded complicated but he trusted Uncle Marius, and obediently sat down to write replies to his three forebears. His aunt and uncle and all the portraits joined in helping Aries to compose his reply. Eventually they settled on having him express gratitude for his relatives' kindness, as well as great eagerness to meet them all at Christmas. Uncle Marius made him copy each letter out three times before finally giving his approval to the penmanship, then finally tied the letters to the legs of the owls and sent them back to their owners.