Ch. 9: Dream Put to Rest

🎶"Jis ke aane se muqammal ho gayi thi zindagi, dastaakein khushiyon ne di thi, mit gayi thi har kami, kyun bewajah di ye saza, kyun khwab de ke woh le gaya?"

"The one from whose arrival my life had become complete, happiness knocked at my door, all lacks were fulfilled, why did she give me this punishment for no reason, why did she give me this dream and take it away?"🎶

- Main Dhoondne Ko Zamaane Mein | Arafat Mehmood | Arijit Singh

Ayaara's P.O.V.

Faris moved next to me and whispered, "Your boss, right?"

I nodded.

He stuck out a hand, "Hi, I'm Faris Alam."

Yasir glanced at his hand then at my face before looking at Faris and shaking his hand, "Yasir Amir."

"Nice to meet you."

Yasir gave him a nod.

Faris curled his lips inward, flashing a closed-mouth smile.

After an unbearably long moment of silence, Faris placed a hand on my lower back, "Are you ready to go, love?"

I nodded softly, "Mhm."

He slipped his hand into mine, causing Yasir's gaze to shift to our now locked hands.

"Have a great rest of the night," Faris told him.

Yasir didn't reply and I could feel him watching me as Faris led me towards the front door.

I glanced over my shoulder and our eyes met.

Something tugged at my heart as Faris and I walked further away.

Armaan appeared next to Yasir, pulling him away to the garden.

"Is everything okay, baby? You sounded worried when you called me earlier to pick you up," Faris faced me once we got into his car.

There was no point in telling Faris. It's over now. He'd get upset and I don't want to think about Gustavo anymore.

"All good," I forced a smile onto my lips.

"You sure?"

"Yes. Also, I think Sherry is still up, Far. We could stop by my apartment and tell her before you drop me to the family home."

"Sounds good."

I stared out the window, my mind replaying several events of the night.

"Your boss, Mr. Amir, was it?"

I turned to look at him.

"Such a friendly bloke," he laughed with raised eyebrows, "Barely responded to any of what I said."

"He wasn't trying to be rude, he's just a man of few words. That's just how he is."

"I don't know how you did it then, love, working with him for two months and just hearing utter silence."

"It wasn't like that," I smiled, "We've had many conversations. It's not like he doesn't answer, he does. He's just not verbose."

"I was just joking," he chuckled, "How was the show?"

I went on to describe the fashion show to him until we reached mine and Sherry's flat.

Once we parked the car, Faris opened his right hand for me, and I put my left, raising an eyebrow.

He reached into his pocket and took out my engagement ring, sliding it back onto my ring finger before bringing my knuckles to his lips.

"The jewelers were able to resize it today," he informed me.