Ch. 20: Peppermint

Ayaara's P.O.V.

It was now mid-April. It's been over four months since I miscarried.

Losing my child before I even got to meet him or her, it breaks my heart every time I think about it. So many woven dreams and hopes shattered in a flash.

I was lost, I was devastated. Had Yasir and Hoorain Aunty not been by my side, my mind would've tempted me to wander down the very dark road I couldn't stop thinking about during those early days. They were the hands that pulled me out of the deep well when I was about to drown. I was forever grateful to both of them. They, along with Sherry, helped me smile again.

Yasir. That man has become one of the people I hold closest to my heart. I've never seen anyone do so much for someone like he did for me... He's seen me in some of my most vulnerable states— he saw me when I was literally bleeding. And I know he baked those brownies and cookies to cheer me up. He could've easily had the chef prepare them... I must say, it was quite the sight, seeing a 32-year-old, well now he's 33, man as built and rugged as him bake cookies for the first time.

When Aunty told me his birthday was coming up this past January, I'd gotten him a vintage black watch that I felt went with his style. He normally doesn't do much for his birthday except hang out with Armaan, as Sherry told me after Armaan later told her, but this past January, he had arranged for a nice afternoon in the garden at his house filled with a rental ice rink, live music, international cuisines, and more. Circling back to me every few minutes after mingling with other handful of guests, he was more concerned with if I was enjoying and comfortable than actually celebrating. I could tell he liked the watch too since I saw him wearing it a few days later.

A few weeks after his birthday, Aunty called, "Gudiya, ab kaam par aana shuru karo. Itne dino se tum rahi ho hamare paas, ab tumhare beghair reh nahin pa rahi (Doll, now start coming to work. You've stayed with us for so many days, now I can't stay without you)." So, I started reporting to their house to resume the project with Aunty. Over the course of the last few months, I was able to heal and breathe again thanks to all of them.

The last four nights, I slept over at Aunty's house, and Sherry would join us after work at night. Yasir and Armaan were in Dubai for work, and Aunty didn't want to be home alone. The three of us had some fun girly time. The men were finally coming back this evening.

"Aunty, I wasn't aware Yasir and Armaan did business together." I stated as Aunty stroked my hair, my head resting in her lap.

"They don't, beta, but they both go to Dubai sometimes for some other project they're both apart of. I don't get too much into it. I don't even understand Yasir's holding molding business!" She laughed.

Elora knocked on Aunty's open bedroom door, "Sir has arrived, ma'am."

I didn't know why, but my heart began beating faster at the news.

I was looking forward to seeing him. I'd grown closer to him these last several months. We texted frequently, but he didn't message me at all during the trip. I didn't either as I didn't want to disturb him, but deep down, I wanted to hear from him and know how he was doing.

"Oh! Chalo chalo! (Let's go, let's go!)" Aunty said to me cheerfully as we both got up.

Elora wheeled her to the front doors and I followed suit.

"Assalamwalaikum, Ami." His deep voice reached my ears as he entered.

The realization hit me. I missed him. I had seen him almost everyday these past few months except sometimes for the weekends or when he would come home later than 5. I was used to seeing him.