chapter thirteen

She'll want to have one of these later. I should save some for her just in case.

With that realization, Asami took two of Welch's fruit snacks from her bundle and put them back in the box, then closed the cabinet entirely. She smiled to herself, knowing well that Korra would appreciate having the last packs. It would be just fine if she knew or didn't know that that was Asami's doing. That didn't matter.

After grabbing the few snacks that she had been craving a day - that being a tangerine, two oatmeal raisin cookies, and now just one Welch's fruit snack - Asami made her way back to her bedroom. Or, the bedroom that she had chosen for herself to stay in during their small time away from home.

It was the first morning of their vacation, and everyone seemed to already be fully situated in the house. Just as suspected, Mako and Kuvira went to the emptier wings of the house in order to have their much needed peace and quiet, along with proper privacy. Both of their bedrooms were on the smaller side (or as small as a second estate house could offer) since that's what they both liked, anyway. It was all that they really needed. Opal and Bolin took one out of the three master bedrooms located on the second floor. Bolin insisted on taking the built in elevator everytime he traveled between the levels, whether he needed to be on said floor or not.

Korra took another one of the master bedrooms, as well as Asami. And of course, the universe had to do what it always did. Korra had asked Asami which room she was staying in, and once she was informed, she just had to pick the room closest to that one.

So it was just the two of them. Alone on the fourth floor. In their own wing. Their shared wing. Just them. Alone. Because that is what the universe always did.

But currently, it would just be Asami in their wing. Korra, Mako, and Bolin had gone out an hour or two ago to get groceries. The five friends only brought up snacks that were more for the munchies or a midnight snack, so they did need actual food. Especially since Korra said that she was planning on cooking for them at least one of the nights of their vacation. However, one was sure that grocery shopping could take so long, but none of the girls that were left at the house bothered to ask. They all were well aware by now that they definitely sent out the wrong group of people to run errands together.

As Asami shut her bedroom door behind her and fell onto the long couch in the room, placing the food onto the coffee table in front, her phone sent out three noises that indicated a text. She reached into the back pocket of her shorts to see who was contacting her.

i know you like dried fruits but i don't know which one. is there a difference between these two ??

Next were two pictures of Korra's hand holding up two different kinds of dried mangos. Or rather, they were the same kind of dried Mango. Asami huffed a small chuckle and shook her head softly while replying to her friend, not bothering to ignore the way that her heart was threatening to leap out of her chest that very moment.

I'm pretty sure those are the same

She got a response only seconds later.

that's what mako said but i swear they're not. zoom in on the second picture i sent. that one has 2% sugar but the first one doesn't have ANY sugar

which one do u like better ?? i don't want to get the wrong one

It was a damn punch in the gut of how effortlessly sweet Korra was. Like being like this, so caring when she didn't have to be, even over the smallest things - was just her natural instinct. Her natural instinct was to care.

Asami's lashes fluttered when she read the text, then did as she was told. She zoomed in on the second picture, and the difference was in fact there. In small print, of course. How Korra even noticed that was its own mystery. The only explanation was that she must have really been looking for the right kind to get. Just to make sure that Asami had what she liked and would be one hundred perfectly satisfied.