chapter seventeen

It's not her fault that she doesn't see me the way that I see her. It's not her fault that she can't see.

This was all that consumed Asami's mind since that morning in the art studio, when Korra came in and her presence shifted the weight of Asami's entire being.

But in reality, that would be an understatement. That was all that consumed her mind since the moment that she realized what she felt towards Korra was something stronger, more fragile. More forbidden.

And the fact that she almost let it slip?

How could it have been that way? How in the world did Korra make it so easy for Asami to want to completely collapse into her, giving her everything she wanted - any answer to any question, in this situation. Luckily, though, Asami was quick enough to catch herself before she revealed something that could have shifted their dynamic forever.

For the worse.

That's what she had to keep reminding herself: if Korra saw, it would shift their dynamic forever for the worse.

Those were the words that she chanted during the entire - but thankfully rather short - car ride from her father's house to where the fair was located. Asami was more than grateful for Kuvira being a guest in the car, instead of the usual being just her and Korra. She wasn't sure that she could have handled being in an even tighter space than what the art studio provided. And it felt significantly small once Korra walked in as her aura just sucked all of the air out of the room. The large glass windows that gave them a look outside should have helped with that problem, but of course, nothing was that simple or easy. Not when it came to Korra, at least.

Kuvira was a great company from the backseat. She offered a light feeling to their conversations, which was much needed and mildly slowed down Asami's racing heart caused by none other than the person in the passenger seat. It didn't help that nature was doing the most to let Asami know how effortlessly fucking beautiful said person was. Korra had her window down all the way with one of her arms hanging out. Every so often when Asami thought that it was safe enough to take the quickest glance, she would see that Korra's fingers softly danced in the wind, playing with it, treating it like it were strings on a guitar. Her chopped brown hair flew in the wind as well, elegantly and freely and somehow not getting in her face to the point where it bothered her. It was almost like a backup dancer to whatever song her fingers were playing.

It was seven thirty on a late June afternoon, so the sun wasn't quite ready to set yet. However, the sky was still heavenly lit up by blue and orange tones. It reflected on Korra's brown skin and made her glow more than she already naturally does. It was hard for Asami to not look.

But there was one time throughout the car ride that when she went to look at Korra, she was met with the warmest blue eyes already staring at her. She was just staring with nothing but a silent tug at the corners of her lips. When their eyes locked, though, that smile slowly faded until those lips formed a thin line, they parted just the smallest amount.

Asami felt her stomach do a swoop as her own eyes dropped down to that mouth. She looked back up as quickly as possible, cursing herself internally for letting her mind wander like that.

For a split second, she wondered why Korra was staring in the first place, and why she didn't look away or speak. Why she looked so deep in thought, when all that was in front of her was just plain-old-childhood-best friend-Asami Sato. But before she could ponder on it anymore, their friend interrupted whatever that was.

"Hey," Kuvira said. She pulled herself up to be leaning over the console, directly in the middle of Korra and Asami. She turned to look at the heiress with a fixed expression. Asami suddenly felt like she was being examined. "The light's green, you know. And the car behind you has been blaring their horn."