Chapter 18: The Rescue

Kion felt anxiety rising as he ran as fast as he could to get the cubs. He knew Timon and Pumbaa were the worse babysitters, but they tried their best to prove to everyone that they could be responsible. They even took in Bunga when he was a baby honey badger and cared for him until his death. Kion stopped near the edge of the gorge and saw the zebras passing through. His ears perked up when he heard cries for help from the cubs.

"I'm coming, cubs!" Kion declared before jumping down and running much faster than the zebras. Zazu is flying up ahead and sees Kion running after the cubs to avoid getting trampled.

"I got to tell everyone about this!" He flew back to pride rock as quickly as he could to get help.

Meanwhile, Tiifu, Timon, and Pumbaa are in pride rock. She had cast a glare at the duo before Kovu and Kiara walked out of the den, "Timon, Pumbaa, where the cubs?" Kiara asked.

"Tell them!" Tiifu commanded.

"Ok, Ok, Nama told us about a lot of insects under a big log, so we ran over there, checked it out, and the next thing we know that the cubs are gone," Timon confessed.

"What?!" Kovu and Kiara exclaimed.

"The cubs are gone!? Where could they have gone to?" asked Kovu.

"We dunno, but Kion's out there looking for them," said Pumbaa.

"They left while these two had to stop and stuff their faces with bugs!" Tiifu tells them, which made the king and queen gasp.

"We didn't mean to lose them, Kovu and Kiara. We thought they were staying with us the whole time," said Pumbaa.

"It's alright, you two. We have to make a search party to help us look for them," said Kiara.

Just then, Zazu flew into the den, panicking, "Sire, Sire! The cubs are in the gorge, and they're in a zebra stampede with Kion running after them!"

"What?!" Everyone exclaimed.

"We have to save them and Kion! Who knows what could happen to them!" Tiifu yelled.

"We're coming too!" The group turned around and saw Simba and Nala rushing towards them with worried looks on their faces, "We've heard about the whole thing, and we're coming to help rescue the cubs."

"And us too!" said Zuri as she and the other young lions came to the scene.

"Is that everyone?" Kiara asked.

"Yes, Kiara. We're all here to save our cubs," said Nuru.

"Alright then, let's go!"

Kovu, Kiara, and the others left pride rock and sprinted to the gorge as fast as possible. Meanwhile, the cubs were running and looking for a ledge to sit on until the stampede had cleared up. Their tiny lungs are burning, and their legs and paws are starting to ache. Little cubs like them can't run that fast as an older cub can, and they're starting to slow down, which is not good since the zebra herd is gaining on them. Chaka looked up and saw a large ledge that'll fit all of the cubs.

"Guys, let's climb up on that ledge over there!" Chaka yelled as he led the others to the ledge where they'd be safe.

When they made it close enough, they used all of the strength they had and jumped onto the ledge and climbed on top of it, panting in exhaustion. The cubs are now safe from the zebra herd, and they'll have to stay there until someone rescues them.

"Whoo, that was close!" Nya sighed, laying down.

"Yeah, we're never coming back here again, that's for sure!" Hodari said.