Chapter 41: Reunion

Hofu and Kiara made it to Rafiki's tree after walking for five minutes. They sat down and Kiara roared to Rafiki, letting him know that she and Hofu are at the bottom of the tree. The wise mandrill climbed out of the tree, carrying herbs and medicine he need to treat Hofu's wounds. Since Eshe was in the tree, she informed him that Kiara is bringing Hofu with her to get treated since they had their fight.

"Ah, queen Kiara, Hofu. I knew you two were coming. Let's see what ol' Rafiki can do to treat those wounds," said Rafiki.

Hofu stared at Rafiki nervously, He hoped the medicine wouldn't sting him like a swarm of angry hornets defending their nest. Kiara noticed her cousin's discomfort and gave him a reassuring smile to ease his worries.

"Will this sting me?" Hofu asked.

Rafiki nodded, "It'll only sting a little bit. But, this can help your wounds heal in a few days; luckily, you won't have any scars on you," he answered.

"Oh, thank the kings above," Hofu sighed in relief.

"Do you want me to stay with you, Hofu?" asked Kiara, turning her attention to her cousin.

Hofu shook his head, "Nah, you can go back to pride rock, Kiara." Before Kiara could get up and walk away, Hofu stopped her, "Oh! And tell my mom and dad that I returned," he said.

"I will," Kiara called back as she started running back to pride rock.

Rafiki dipped his fingers into the contents and started to rub them on Hofu's wounds. The sensation was cold and stinging to the wounds as the latter hissed in pain. He dug his claws into the ground, trying his best to sit still as Rafiki was treating him. When the mandrill was finished, he came back with some purple liquid which made Hofu grimace at the scent.

"Ugh! It stinks!" Hofu cringed as he turned his head away from Rafiki, "I'm drinking that, monkey!"

Rafiki sighed and patted Hofu's back assuringly, "You have to drink this to help your wounds feel better," he said.

Hofu groaned as he reluctantly drank the medicine, the sour taste coating his tongue as he forced it down, cringing at the burning sensation inside of his throat. Once he was done, he felt like vomiting as he swallowed the bile rising from his throat.

"That was disgusting!" He grimaced, licking his paw to remove the aftertaste. He stopped before smacking his tongue and turning to Rafiki, "Do I have to take this again tomorrow?"

"No. You only can take this for today since you have fewer injuries than Eshe," Rafiki answered, causing Hofu to sigh in relief, "However, you must get some rest and take it easy; I'll come to pride rock and check on you next week."

"Ok, thanks, Rafiki." Hofu nodded, "What about Eshe?" He asked, "Is she going to be alright?"

"Young Eshe's wounds are a bit worse than yours. However, she will make a fine recovery as long as she takes it easy," Rafiki explained, "Now, tell me. How did you two get those injuries?"

"Umm..." Hofu dipped his head in embarrassment, "It's kind of a long story... I'd rather not talk about that right now,"

Rafiki nodded, "I understand. If you'd like, you can talk to ol' Rafiki about it whenever you get ready,"

"Yes, Rafiki. And thanks again," said Hofu as he gets up.

"You're most welcome, young Hofu," said Rafiki, "Eshe's in the tree if you want to see her."

Hofu smiled at the mention of Eshe, "Yes, I will see her," he started climbing up Rafiki's tree with the mandrill following behind him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.